Need Help before Purchase.

Participant count
  • Participant list
You could potentially get a lot better sound by addressing other areas of your installation before changing from component speakers to coaxials. If you haven't done any sound deadening that is a certainty. What are you hoping to gain by changing the speakers?

What car do you have?

Do you have your speakers powered by an aftermarket amplifier?

What else can you tell us about your sound system?

Where are the tweeters mounted?

yeah I have the pheonix golds as well and they are great. The tweeters couldnt handle the 100+w I have on tap but they sounded great until they popped. still using the mids and love them.

Well I have a Saturn l200 2003. Yes I have a DHD amp which powers my Phoenix Gold speakers really clean. Its just that one of the speakers distorts during certain songs and not even raising it at high volumes. That tells me that the speaker is going bad. So, I'm planning to get speakers that are a little bit more durable and can sound just as good if not better than my Pheonix Gold speakers i have at the moment. Thats why i was looking into the Alpine SPR-60 6.5 speakers since thats my price limit that amazon provides($100) as well as having a lot positive reviews.

Yes, i have a high pass filter set. On my amp, It is all set set to HPF. Other choices include Full and LPF. Tweeters are mounted by my mirror, almost same height level. But even with the Pheonix Gold component speakers, I couldn't use Full Range setting on the Amp since one of the speakers would distort even more than it does now. The Amp i'm using is a DHD 2004 4 Channel, 400 Watts. I still think Alpine SPR-60 6.5 would be my bet in regards of my price limit and sound quality. What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked into DHD and the web site makes me feel very uneasy about the quality of their amplifiers. If the amplifier is causing distortion it will sound bad on new speakers as well. If you insist on keeping the amp then at least stick with component speakers and not coaxials. The current tweeter location is fine.

The amp is good. It's just the one speaker out of the 4 that going out. Appreciate the feedback anyways. So it comes down to this, would the alpine speakers I mentioned sound better than the 80 dollar pheonix gold component speakers I currently have? Honestly.

The amp is good. It's just the one speaker out of the 4 that going out. Appreciate the feedback anyways. So it comes down to this, would the alpine speakers I mentioned sound better than the 80 dollar pheonix gold component speakers I currently have? Honestly.
Maybe. Honestly, not one of us can tell you straight up if you will like them better than your Phoenix Gold speakers. This is why we change out equipment, to see what else is out there and how it sounds.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.