Recommend me a new ALT and Battery

Mick87
10+ year member

I am currently driving a 1996 Chevy Lumina with a rebuilt alt, not sure on the amperage. My battery is 4 years old and is an Energizer with 650CCA, I think.

As assumed, my lights dim quite a bit when bumping and my system will shut off if I bump while stopped.

I am currently running a PowerAcoustik A1800DB Class D amplifier, 1800Watts

(1100RMS) with the gains set just below half. What would be more effective, upgrading the ALT or the battery? I am running 1/0 gauge wiring from the battery to the amp.

From what I have read in the forums, I think I am in need of a new battery/ALT, but am not sure which ones to go with, or which ones will fit for my specific engine.

How much amperage should I need from my ALT to power this amp without dimming?

Please recommend me a new ALT/Battery.

Thank you very much

Alt wise i would highly recommend ohio gen. they are great when it comes to service

I am currently driving a 1996 Chevy Lumina with a rebuilt alt, not sure on the amperage. My battery is 4 years old and is an Energizer with 650CCA, I think. As assumed, my lights dim quite a bit when bumping and my system will shut off if I bump while stopped.

I am currently running a PowerAcoustik A1800DB Class D amplifier, 1800Watts

(1100RMS) with the gains set just below half. What would be more effective, upgrading the ALT or the battery? I am running 1/0 gauge wiring from the battery to the amp.

From what I have read in the forums, I think I am in need of a new battery/ALT, but am not sure which ones to go with, or which ones will fit for my specific engine.

How much amperage should I need from my ALT to power this amp without dimming?

Please recommend me a new ALT/Battery.

Thank you very much

I'm gonna go and say you'll need a new battery simply

because yours is aging. After you get one you can get a

new alt too, its like a package deal its best to get both.

If you search" high output alt" on eay you'll get plenty of

options to chose from, and there are plenty of batterys

to chose from out there kineik, optima etc.

I would get a better battery and then if needed get a alternator...and when you do get an alternator get an 200amp one so that you can up grade your system in the future.

get the alt first and then you wont need the battery. don't know why people choose batteries first. batteries start the car, alts power the car audio and charge batteries! i would think you would have no problem with a 120 amp alt with a smaller pulley. you might what to have that alt tested and she how many amps it puts out. that will help you gauge for how many amp alt you will want

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.