Reading Coils With a DMM

as long as it's close enough, I don't care. close enough to know that the company labeled or shipped the correct VC config. $300, no thanks, i'd rather buy more speakers //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Touche. I'm curious as to why the O.P. finds the coil resistance so important. I could understand it for other means but a $300 meter for a coil? Now you'll have all the noobs thinking they need a high dollar DMM. Heck the only time I ever use mine is just to see if a coil shows resistance and not to see what the impedance actually is, and it's a good one also. I don't care how expensive it is. It's never fully accurate.

We use flukes for any of our EE labs... I brought in my cheapo one I use for projects one time to compare them and it was pretty significant. I don't know if I'd spend the money on a fluke for projects as long as you keep in mind the properties of a cheapo one. Guess it depends on your use.
Calibration of anything I'd say either buy or maybe even see if you can rent a fluke. I know I bum one off the EE lab to configure my stuff when need be.

As far as just general measure and checks go normally my cheapo one is all I need.

Good thought to bring up on a forum like this =)
even the difference between fluke meters can be quite significant.

i own a t5-600 tester ~75 bucks and its ok for just carrying around and letting it get beat on off the tool bags

the higher clamp(333) and just regular multimeter(177) i have far far surpass it though.

the latter one being almost too technical for some 12v crap

Touche. I'm curious as to why the O.P. finds the coil resistance so important. I could understand it for other means but a $300 meter for a coil? Now you'll have all the noobs thinking they need a high dollar DMM. Heck the only time I ever use mine is just to see if a coil shows resistance and not to see what the impedance actually is, and it's a good one also. I don't care how expensive it is. It's never fully accurate.
maybe since he actually owns his own company.....have you ever heard of Quality Control? He needs to make sure that his supplier/builders are staying true to his standards

You must not come around too often:D
I come here often, I just don't keep up with who is who, or follow the latest boner brand (no offense to Sundown). Plus, I guess it never dawned on me since his name is sundowz, no capitalization and a z. Just seems like some random user who has a fad for Sundown.

His signature even says that he's the owner of Sundown //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Lol, like I said, I don't keep up with who is who.

I guess I should apologize for questioning Jacob, owner of Sundown, about the importance of his coil measuring technique.

I come here often, I just don't keep up with who is who, or follow the latest boner brand (no offense to Sundown). Plus, I guess it never dawned on me since his name is sundowz, no capitalization and a z. Just seems like some random user who has a fad for Sundown.
That was my screen name 5 years before I started the company //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif Three years before on this particular forum.

I take it he's the owner of Sundown? Why not use something more accurate than a 2 prone DMM if that's the case? Especially for measuring low resistance.
I measure the coils three times when building a sub - two prong meter is very convenient and this particular meter gives me a very accurate and consistent reading.

Primary reason for posting... people will assume they have a D2 coil by mistake if they see 1.3 or 1.4 on their DMM when it could just be a high lead resistance and they have the D1 they were supposed to have.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.