Re Xxx Review

RangerMan
Premium Member

Premium Member
NC
The XXXs are finally here and your in for a long review...don't cheat, read the whole **** thing, I typed it all...here we go!!!

Straight out of the box, these things were monsters. The first thing I did wan take a 40 pound weight and sit it on the cone...no budge. Fellas we have a strong woofer here!!! They were both heavy. After taking them out, I put them in the ported box (40x20x20) with a slot port down the middle. I got the local shop man to wire the subs to close to one ohm...each hooked up to a 1200.1. The wires were all crazy and I can't do a diagram, but I'll try to get one to ya soon. After getting everything hooked up, me and Craig (installer) went out back and poped in none other than the THX woofer Excursion test. The Subs sounded amazing...but that is only for the SPL side of things...we played around with the gains on the amps and the poped in Bia Bia. Personally, I hate the song, but it is a great song to use for testing the bass accuracy of subs. The subs hit every note with precise accuracy that I would compare to a Crystal CMP. The subs were excellent so far in the ported box. Now, for techno...I hate the ****, but hey, we had to test sq (right audiolife //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif ) for all you old farts around here. We played some crap he had on the CD and I was kind of dissapointed. Don't get me wrong...the subs sounded great, but I guess nothing can beat the Sound Quality of an IDMax. So that completed the ported box section of things...

Now for the sealed: After taking the *****es out of the ported box (they are heavy...the shipping weight was about 60 pounds per sub) we went straight to the sealed box which is built to the exact same specs as the ported box. After the same routine with the same songs and all these were the results. The SPL was not as good as the ported box, but the SQ and bass accuracy was a definate improvement. I decided that I like the ported box more though, so that's what I am going to carry to the shop in Durham to get metered on the Linear X.

Now, you are saying, RangerMan, should I get these subs and what do you compare them too. Let me first start by saying that there are better SPL subs and SQ subs out there than the XXX. You will, however, be hard pressed to find a sub that has a better mix of the 2. The sub is pure awesome, and I am sure that with a little tampering, this sub could be a HELL of an SPL sub, and a HELL of an SQ sub. I would compare this sub SPL wise, to something just under a Juggernaut. SQ wise, I would say it sounds a lot like a Crystal CMPx2 or a regular CMP. Now, do I recomend it???? Hell yea, these are the best crossover subs that I have ever heard!!! But let me warn you, I have not heard a Brahma...

As of now, the official XMax of the sub is 32mm which is not the highest Linear excursion in the worls, but with the new cast, Resonant hopes to pull a 38mm out of the DUMAX. Can it be done??? Probably, but all I can say as of now is that this is one hell of a sub...

Any questions or comments??? Just post.... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

My hands hurt!!!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

well that's one hell of a revies, now get it metered and get us people on here some pics rangerman. hell you should take pics of the sub wired up just to confuse and scare most of us on here who hate wiring DVC's at times:D . great review though, and even better i'm the first to respond.

adam

Originally posted by bumpin_blazer well that's one hell of a revies, now get it metered and get us people on here some pics rangerman. hell you should take pics of the sub wired up just to confuse and scare most of us on here who hate wiring DVC's at times:D . great review though, and even better i'm the first to respond.

adam
Hopefully the first of many...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

from your review...sounds like a brahma because of the nice balance of SQ and SPL. I would like to read a comparison between the brahma and the RE XXX. how much did you pay for the sub and what size??

Originally posted by Bumpin03 from your review...sounds like a brahma because of the nice balance of SQ and SPL. I would like to read a comparison between the brahma and the RE XXX. how much did you pay for the sub and what size??
They are 12s and 269 each

Interesting review. How was the ouput of the IDmax in comparison to the XXX? How were it's midbass frequencies? How was it's transient response during the techno? Did you listen to any classical?

thats ALOT cheaper then the brahmas....i ordered my brahma 15 and im waitin for there new shipment....but i might actually cancel my order if i hear a comparison beetween them and the brahmas. i paid 440 for the brahma...and get 2 12's for not much more....and 2 12's should be louder then 1 15....HURRY someone compare the brahma to a XXX haha

It had good midbass not great, but better than the W7...great response during the techno music, but it is not as good as the IDMax. I don't listen to classical, but if you do, and want a pure SQ sub, I would go with the IDMax over the XXX.

Originally posted by Bumpin03 thats ALOT cheaper then the brahmas....i ordered my brahma 15 and im waitin for there new shipment....but i might actually cancel my order if i hear a comparison beetween them and the brahmas. i paid 440 for the brahma...and get 2 12's for not much more....and 2 12's should be louder then 1 15....HURRY someone compare the brahma to a XXX haha
I still want to hear the Brahma, and am trying to talk one of my friends into getting one...

the IDMAX is image dynamics top of the line woofer. basically in my opinion and many many other people's opinion it's one of the best woofer's out there. great SQ with a ton of SPL behind it, accurate tight bass and very musical for a woofer that has an RMS of 1000 watts.

adam

I need to here the monster man //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Good review you peaked my interest. Hit me up with some thiele small parameters. I want to play . //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

32 Fux0r1ng MM XMAX? HOCKY DYNA! that is intense. and i thought the 15MM of the Infinity Kappa's was a lot //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif that must excurd alot. make sure nothing comes close to them //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif lol.. nice review br0... the name is kinda perverted though ( XXX ) hehe

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.