rd alpha v2 vs hdc3

Sure it's close but is it worth going out and buying more subs? He just seemed to be getting awfully excited that they would be so much better. I have heard a couple of setups with the Alphas and honestly I wasn't impressed. I'd be interested in Kevin, or Steve letting me do a drop in test to convince me otherwise though;)
yeh thats what i did yesterday.. kevin told me the alpha i used only had one spider and was more of an sq alpha, he said next time hes here hes gonna bring an spl alpha

I had a HDC3 and I didnt care for the way it reproduced music at all, yea it sounded ok, but nothing more then average....Got loud..thats about it...Didnt hit the lows like I was use to...But anything in the 45hz+range where loud as fawk....But To me its not all about whats louder I dont compete, Its strickly which sounds better daily driving...and The alpha sounded better to MY ears

And that is your opinion, don't lay your left nut on the line for something that is just an opinion:p: My opinion is a little different. My car peaks right at about 40hz which is perfect for my listening pleasure, and it plays pretty well down into the lower 30's

Wow your left nut probably wouldn't appreciate that bet.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif Didn't sound any better to me on music. My AQ's have actually sounded pretty damm good on music.
same here

yeh thats what i did yesterday.. kevin told me the alpha i used only had one spider and was more of an sq alpha, he said next time hes here hes gonna bring an spl alpha
He drove all the way from Columbus to bring you that sub... Wow, surely Steve would meet up with me considering I live about 30 mins away:D

no they were doing an install on a 08 civic with a 850.1 and 2 12" classics . today they had a 05 corolla today, and there was a 06 cts with a 1750.1 and 15" alpha

sounds good, but comparatively how did you like them on music?

i have v1 alphas that i need to buy recones for in the future, still play great, just need them better:laugh:

i have no issue with either company, as Aq has shown to be nothing but great to it's customers, and I've never had any issue getting in touch with steve about my subs.

sounded similar to me. my aq sounded a little louder on music tho
probably hard to tell without a meter if they were that close.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

feel like doing any more testing?

say like 30hz, 35hz 37hz?

i did the drop in yesterday. cant do anymore test. probly do another one in the future with a diff alpha

but i dont think the alpha would have played any lower than the hdc since it was 1.5db lower at 40hz

i love my alpha's. they are good all the way around. they hit lows the lows great. i have them in about a 10cu.ft. box tuned around 32hz and they love it. i have somewhere around 2.5k to 3k going to each one and they hold up. i burped it at 42hz and did 149 after demoing for a few people. ask mazzasec he can tell you

i did the drop in yesterday. cant do anymore test. probly do another one in the future with a diff alpha
but i dont think the alpha would have played any lower than the hdc since it was 1.5db lower at 40hz
not necessarily but none the less, with the alpha with a single spider meant to play music, id say its a very good comparison, and when you get the other one with some stiffer spiders, i could see it being very very very close.

hopefully we'll see the other results soon:D

i love my alpha's. they are good all the way around. they hit lows the lows great. i have them in about a 10cu.ft. box tuned around 32hz and they love it. i have somewhere around 2.5k to 3k going to each one and they hold up. i burped it at 42hz and did 149 after demoing for a few people. ask mazzasec he can tell you
Yep! Very nice score! I didnt know you burped 42hz also! NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well from a team captain who has guys that run both woofers, I can give you some direct comparssion nummbers.

First for the sound of the two woofers. Woofers and there sound reproduction, have to do a lot more with the enclosure you build for them, and the power put to them. I can make **** sound marvelous, so we wont go into that discussion.

As far as output(purely spl) I have seen both in action, tested both, For purely spl output. 2 10s with 4k 58-60hz range the AQHd3A coils out performed the RD Heavyweight 10s by 3db 155db to 152 WOW. Both woofers definetly come to life with more power.

I have also heard both, thats a toss up, what do you like, for or chevy. I know the aq for response handled everthing very nicely. The Rd didnt like the extreme lows. again. I could have built another box to get them to respond better.

The last mistake any of you want to do is underestimate the AQ woofer, its a sleeper. and until now isnt being used widely in spl. Has it been used before yes, but this yr will be an eye opener. RD had very good equipment as well. Customer service could be a little better. But Steve Is trying to get his company off the ground. AQ for all I talk to Is top notch on top of there game in every aspect of their buisness.

So remember do your own homework, dont depend on what others have to say to you.

I've messed with both woofers as well. Everyone knows I'm the AQ man, but few know how much I've messed with the RD's. I've messed with SHW's, Alphas, Elite SPL's, and I am getting ready to do an install with the Sonance woofers.

Pure output, the AQ has won everytime.

SQ, well it depends on what you like I guess. They definately have a different sound. I personally prefer the AQ's, but I listen to rock more than anything, and the AQ's have a much tighter, cleaner hit to them. The RD's have a nice low roar that sounds good on rap and such.

Steve from RD seems like a great guy. Very personable and easy to talk to.

DJ from AQ is like a second father to me. I can't say enough good about him.

In my own personal rides, I will always run the AQ's. A good friend of mine has chosen to stick with the RD's. To each their own, I guess.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

da box king

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Veteran
da box king
Portland, MI
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date