RCA noise filter....place at HU or AMP???

Participant count
  • Participant list

BassAddictJ
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
FL
I cannot get rid of my alty whine to save my life. I plan on picking up some inline noise filters from walmart and I'm wondering if they should be placed in line closer to the HU, or the amp inputs?...or if it even really matters at all....

Before ya go spend money possibly for a no fix, try your grounds and where wires are run first. If you are getting alt whine its usually from a bad ground or something like power and rcas too close etc. Also know that some of those aftermarket filters lower the voltage out puts on the rcas and that is bad. I dont know about Wal Mart anything I wouldnt use them if they were free but thats me. If you have whine in the system try looking for a solution not a fix.

If you dont care or whatever, then they should be as close to the head unit as possible because that is your source.

I know my grounds are good, it's probably the RCA's being too close to the power/grounds....unfortunately i have VERRRY limited space and i cant help that proximity issue..

But i will try grounding my RCA's. Iirc the outter part of the plug is the neg, and the inner pole piece is the positive. I'm thinking the best way to do this without damaging the rca cable would be to wrap a wire around the outside part and tape it into place. then obviously run that wire to the ground...

i bought the noise filter, it didnt do a god **** thing //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif...but i can take it back with the reciept so it's not really a loss. i'll let you guys know if i make any progress.

i bought the noise filter, it didnt do a god **** thing //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif...but i can take it back with the reciept so it's not really a loss. i'll let you guys know if i make any progress.

Told ya.

Do you have balanced RCAs or standard?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.