Random LOUD crackling

Participant count
  • Participant list

Philth
10+ year member

Hey guys...

I just installed a small system in my fiancee's '08 Colorado standard cab.

Kenwood KDC-HD548U HU

Kenwood 6 1/2's in the door

JL Audio 8" sub

Sound Ordnance M-4050 amp

8AWG wiring to amp

Front/Sub RCAs running to amp

I checked the ground with a DMM and from the ground wire end (disconnected from amp) to battery negative connection (disconnected from battery), my DMM is reading .01 ohms, so I think my ground is fine.

I'm getting this random LOUD crackling/static from my Kenwood door speakers. The funny thing is it seems it only happens when I start to turn the gains up on the amp right around 1/4 to 1/2 gain setting AND when the music is loud. (I was setting the gains initially for the system.) When the volume is lower, the sound is fine. No whines, hiss, or anything.

Everything is brand new. I'm thinking the amp may be bad (Crutchfield cheapy) but I'm not sure. I've installed plenty of basic systems in the past and I've never had anything like this before.

Any ideas?

Did a little troubleshooting today to isolate equipment. Swapped the my 6 1/2's to the rear section of the amp, same problem. So, I doubt it's the amp.

Slaved in new, shielded, RCA's and same problem. Doubt it's the RCAs.

Moved the RCAs to the rear output connection of the HU; same problem. Doubtful it's the HU.

I am using the stock ground for the factory radio for my HU, so I will create a new ground just to get this out of the equation.

Any other ideas?

If the ground to the HU doesn't work, I'm going to totally bypass the amp and just power the 6 1/2's with the HU to see if it goes away. If it doesn't, I would think it would HAVE to be the speakers.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.