Ram 1500 Build

Participant count
  • Participant list

austinbelschner2013

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have a 2014 Ram 1500 crew cab. As of right now, I have 1 Sundown SA-10 on a 500 watt amp that sits in the underseat storage. I am looking at getting my uncles system(2 Digital Design 12s on a 2400 watt amp). I want to run it under my seat so I have my back seats. Does anyone know how hard it is to cut out the underseat storage? I went to a car audio shop and asked him how much it would be, but he gave me a price for the whole system, and I don’t see myself spending $1300 on something I could possibly do myself.

I do not believe you will be able to find enough airspace to run those DD 12s in a proper box. Trying to shoehorn too much cone area into too little space is going to be an expensive disappointment.

As to "how hard" it will be to remove factory stuff and custom fabricate an enclosure this is very subjective and the answer will depend on your level of comfort doing such a job. I suspect figuring time and materials that shop's price isn't unreasonable if they do show quality work, though again I'd be worried that whatever they do you won't have enough volume to build a good and proper enclosure for those DDs.

I do not believe you will be able to find enough airspace to run those DD 12s in a proper box. Trying to shoehorn too much cone area into too little space is going to be an expensive disappointment.

As to "how hard" it will be to remove factory stuff and custom fabricate an enclosure this is very subjective and the answer will depend on your level of comfort doing such a job. I suspect figuring time and materials that shop's price isn't unreasonable if they do show quality work, though again I'd be worried that whatever they do you won't have enough volume to build a good and proper enclosure for those DDs.
The guy who told me he could do it for $1300 was putting Massive sumos in there. He said he’s done it in a plenty of trucks. I plan on cutting out the pinch welds that hold the storage in place and applying a seat lift as well to maximize airspace. will still have hyphen firing up with a big port facing the front windshield. Do you still think I won’t have enough space?

The guy who told me he could do it for $1300 was putting Massive sumos in there. He said he’s done it in a plenty of trucks. I plan on cutting out the pinch welds that hold the storage in place and applying a seat lift as well to maximize airspace. will still have hyphen firing up with a big port facing the front windshield. Do you still think I won’t have enough space?
You almost never have as much space as you think you'll have once everything is in place and everybody always tries to cram too much cone area in too little space. Just facts of life stuff here. Do get out a tape measure and see for yourself. If you can't find about 10 cubic feet gross in the space you're thinking of doing this you're probably going to come up short.

You almost never have as much space as you think you'll have once everything is in place and everybody always tries to cram too much cone area in too little space. Just facts of life stuff here. Do get out a tape measure and see for yourself. If you can't find about 10 cubic feet gross in the space you're thinking of doing this you're probably going to come up short.
What will I come up short in? Box air space, mounting depth,etc...?

I have a 2014 Ram 1500 crew cab. As of right now, I have 1 Sundown SA-10 on a 500 watt amp that sits in the underseat storage. I am looking at getting my uncles system(2 Digital Design 12s on a 2400 watt amp). I want to run it under my seat so I have my back seats. Does anyone know how hard it is to cut out the underseat storage? I went to a car audio shop and asked him how much it would be, but he gave me a price for the whole system, and I don’t see myself spending $1300 on something I could possibly do myself.
4-8's might be easier. Don't underestimate what 4- good 8's can produce. You could probably use that same amp, as well.

What will I come up short in? Box air space, mounting depth,etc...?
Airspace first but very likely mounting depth as well if you're talking about some DDs. This is pretty much DD spec box for a 12" in the back of an F250 crew cab we did for my brother a few years back. 3 cube net after wood, port, and sub displacement just winds up taking a lot of space. Just spitballing here if you raised the seat, shrunk the box by half height, and stretched it out to twice the depth front to back and pulled it out a little more side to side you could probably get 3.5 or 3.75 cube under the seat but would you have enough room for the speaker surround not to rub or to implement a good port?

I think single 12, pair of 10s or 4 8s would be a more reasonable expectation without sacrificing seats in the back of about any pickup.

Airspace first but very likely mounting depth as well if you're talking about some DDs. This is pretty much DD spec box for a 12" in the back of an F250 crew cab we did for my brother a few years back. 3 cube net after wood, port, and sub displacement just winds up taking a lot of space. Just spitballing here if you raised the seat, shrunk the box by half height, and stretched it out to twice the depth front to back and pulled it out a little more side to side you could probably get 3.5 or 3.75 cube under the seat but would you have enough room for the speaker surround not to rub or to implement a good port?

I think single 12, pair of 10s or 4 8s would be a more reasonable expectation without sacrificing seats in the back of about any pickup.

View attachment 23190
So if I go with 8s, what 8s would you recommend ?

So if I go with 8s, what 8s would you recommend ?
If you like DD and know a good DD dealer there's nothing wrong with them. Otherwise stick to the known trustworthy brands and stay out of the entry level and they should all about get you the same place. I'd be looking for something with 2.5" coil and keep the power at or below 2000W for the pair.

2.5" coil should hold about 700W continuous so they'd be pretty indestructible at 500W per.
I’m looking at the Skar EVL-8s. Do you think I could get away with running 4 of these and getting maybe a 3k to run them on? Of course, I would probably break them in with the amp I have now, that way I am not tempted to completely push them to their limits the first day I get them lol. But regardless, would this be a good setup?

I’m looking at the Skar EVL-8s. Do you think I could get away with running 4 of these and getting maybe a 3k to run them on? Of course, I would probably break them in with the amp I have now, that way I am not tempted to completely push them to their limits the first day I get them lol. But regardless, would this be a good setup?
I don't know much about Skar. The owner pulled some shady **** a few years ago and has a pretty big hate train, I have not seen any of their equipment in person. I suspect the subs are the same cookie cutter Chinese stuff you'd get from a dozen other """brands""".

Keep in mind 3000W will definitely put you in the market for electrical upgrades and will potentially be pushing any 4 8s to their limits.

Also consider the difference between 2000W and 3000w will = about 1 click on the volume knob more output, so probably not worth risking breaking stuff.

I don't know much about Skar. The owner pulled some shady **** a few years ago and has a pretty big hate train, I have not seen any of their equipment in person. I suspect the subs are the same cookie cutter Chinese stuff you'd get from a dozen other """brands""".

Keep in mind 3000W will definitely put you in the market for electrical upgrades and will potentially be pushing any 4 8s to their limits.

Also consider the difference between 2000W and 3000w will = about 1 click on the volume knob more output, so probably not worth risking breaking stuff.
me and my cousin both have ran skar . we both love the brand. i went sundown because i heard good stuff about them but honestly, it’s about the same as skar... skar is just cheaper... what brand and model would you run?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.