Quick review of PPI bk1800d

Participant count
  • Participant list

bumpasauras
10+ year member

Always Hurtin Ears!!
Well after my equipment got jacked and spending several days sulking I decided to get back into the game and replace all my stuff. The thieves got my 2 elemental designs nin.1's which I had on my subs 2 type x alpines running in 2 ohm 1 amp on each sub, They also got my PPI phantom 900.4 which I had on my mid/high range, as well as my jbl processor. They did not get my subs but they did take my yellow tops.

Since the type x's are d4 subs the nin.1's were only putting out like 900 rms per sub/amp combo so I wanted to up the rms at 2 ohms, and get a healthy 4 ch for my front stage. I am holding off on the processor due to budget restraints but rest assured the next time I come across a good deal on a used jbl ms-8 I will jump on it cause I really loved mine. Also I wanted to upgrade to xs batteries.

So after bouncing a bunch of Ideas off the wall, I got a dirt cheap deal on a used bk1800d my buddy had so I picked it up almost new for $100. Also I had really good luck with the little PPI 900.4 so I ordered another from amazon. For $166.00 I really do not think there is a better deal to be had . I was running 4 infinity kappas 6.5's 1 on each channel with the gains set very conservative the output was phenomenal. After shopping around I found an ebay seller that had the bk1800's for 189.00 shipped so I picked another one up. Then after trading an assault rifle and some ammo ended up with 2 xs mx2500's and some nice posts. One of the things the jackers did not get was my wiring and 200 amp alt so that's a plus.

So to the amps. First thing I noticed was the weight of the amps. Call me old school but 10 years ago an 1800watt amp was at least 30lbs. But these things are like 13 lbs, very light and small, but the small footprint amps seem to be the direction everyone is going. After mounting and hooking everything up I broke out the dmm and properly set the gain and let everything warm up good.

Since I was running in 2 ohm the subs are seeing like 1100 rms. The lack of processing was very very evident but after jacking with deck settings bass boost and freq. I got it to where I was happy with it and started cranking on it. They extra 200 watts of power were immediately noticeable. I went on like an hour and a half drive checking amp temps now and then, Amps stayed very cool which is to be expected at 2 ohm. All in all I am very happy with the bk1800's Very accurate, supplied more power (subjectively) at 2 ohms than the nin.1 with a smaller foot print.

My ultimate goal is to buy another pair of the type x's and run 2 on each amp at 1 ohm but to be honest for the time being it is plenty of output for me. I cannot be happier with this amp for 189.00 it is a heck of a deal and when you put 2 of them together 3600 watts under 400$ is fantastic. The only drawback I see to them is that they are not strapable which is not a huge deal just a little inconvenient. So in summary the bk 1800d makes good power, with a small footprint at a really good price I highly recommend for budget minded customers.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.