Quick question.

tmorales509
10+ year member

I was just wondering this but as far as like my electrical system. Would their be much difference from wiring for a 4ohm load with the gain at like 90% and 1ohm load with the gain only like a quarter of the way?

The reason im asking is because i had a amp taht was 650watts @ 4ohms, that is how i had my subs wired. I bought a new amp but its only 500 watts @ 4ohm which is not enough, you cant wire two dual 4 ohms to a 2ohm load so the next thing would be 1ohm which is 1500watts. I don't want 1500 watts since the subs are only 600watts total. If i wire to 1ohm and just keep the gain down as opposed to 4ohm load with the gain almost all the way up. Would it be a big difference on my electical system?

I figued on my old amp at 4 ohms i had to get about 50 volts ac on my dmm to get around 650 watts, to get that on a 1ohm load i would only have to get around 25 volts ac. So does taht mean i would actually be using less power on my electrical then before or what, i not sure how to figure that out?

You're making it more complicated than it is.

Yes it will make a big difference in the electrical system.

Turning up the gain or lowering it doesn't necessary mean that it's changing the output watts, at least to my understanding, it only effects how strong the signal from amp to speakers. I could be wrong, if I am, somebody correct me.

I would be more concerned with your subwoofers taking 1500 watts if both subwoofers can only take 600 watts in total.

You will more than likely be able to smell those subs cooking after a short while of overpowering them by that much without even clipping your amp...

Alright ****..Yeah the average i see on these subs(2 re audio srx12s) is like 1000Watts. I seen 1000watts rms on the description, at the time i didn't know you could not hook them up to 2 ohms..And 500 is not enough..I guess ill try and send this amp back.

Alright ****..Yeah the average i see on these subs(2 re audio srx12s) is like 1000Watts. I seen 1000watts rms on the description, at the time i didn't know you could not hook them up to 2 ohms..And 500 is not enough..I guess ill try and send this amp back.
1k even seems a bit much for a set of those... I'd say like 750 either @ 4 ohms or 1 ohm will do you just fine //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif - look into a soundqubed / AQ 750, that would be perfect

http://www.soundqubed.com/Q1-750-Amplifier_p_46.html - Run that @ 1 ohm

I was just wondering this but as far as like my electrical system. Would their be much difference from wiring for a 4ohm load with the gain at like 90% and 1ohm load with the gain only like a quarter of the way?
The reason im asking is because i had a amp taht was 650watts @ 4ohms, that is how i had my subs wired. I bought a new amp but its only 500 watts @ 4ohm which is not enough, you cant wire two dual 4 ohms to a 2ohm load so the next thing would be 1ohm which is 1500watts. I don't want 1500 watts since the subs are only 600watts total. If i wire to 1ohm and just keep the gain down as opposed to 4ohm load with the gain almost all the way up. Would it be a big difference on my electical system?

I figued on my old amp at 4 ohms i had to get about 50 volts ac on my dmm to get around 650 watts, to get that on a 1ohm load i would only have to get around 25 volts ac. So does taht mean i would actually be using less power on my electrical then before or what, i not sure how to figure that out?
even at 4 ohms, you shouldnt have the gain that far up to 90%

Yeah maybe i will keep it then and just run it at 4 ohms for now. I just didn't want to go lower than what they are rated at. My last amp was 650 watts at 4 ohms and they sounded perfect, they even looked like they could handle quite a bit more power. If i do decide to return it, i was actually looking at the RE Audio DTX-1600.1 which is also 750 watts @ 1 ohm and the same price as what i paid for this amp i just bought. The only thing is i don't know if i want to go through the trouble and wait time of returning it in which case i would most likely also have to pay to ship it back(i bought it from sonicelectronix.com)..

Well the way i did it which is how i read is with a dmm. It was a hifonics amp so it actually doesnt have a gain but a "level" knob which i guessed was the same thing. But it goes from 9v(7 oclock on the dial) to 0.2v(5 oclock on the dial). I had it to maybe like 4 o clock. I just did 650x4=2600, sqrt of 2600 is 50.9. Thats how much i had to turn that level knob to reach 50.9. Although i dont really turn my head unit up alot, like 47 out of 60. So i dont know..

Well the way i did it which is how i read is with a dmm. It was a hifonics amp so it actually doesnt have a gain but a "level" knob which i guessed was the same thing. But it goes from 9v(7 oclock on the dial) to 0.2v(5 oclock on the dial). I had it to maybe like 4 o clock. I just did 650x4=2600, sqrt of 2600 is 50.9. Thats how much i had to turn that level knob to reach 50.9. Although i dont really turn my head unit up alot, like 47 out of 60. So i dont know..
that level knob is your gain knob. and what amp are you using? and head unit? seems like the headunit's preout is kinda low for you to have to turn your gains up that high.

If you wire them to one ohm and set the output voltage for 650w the difference in electrical draw may be 10-15 amps due tithe amps inefficiency at 1ohm and the increase in draw from increasing output.

If you set them to 650w you shouldn't blow your subs even at 1ohm just be careful not to turn them up past the point of which they are set for and be careful with certain music. I had a badly clipped song recently claim one of my subs even though the power itself was clean the input signal was horrible.

Before buying something new I would just wire to 1ohm and keep the gain low. Even though the difference in 500&650w isn't going to be noticeable you may have just had a better amp before causing them to sound better

Actually i havent tried the new amp yet so i dont know how it sounds. But if its going to be that much of a difference in current draw then ill probably just wire them to 4 ohms. I only have a stock 90 amp alt and i already been through 2 alternators since ive had this car(about 8 years which i guess isnt that bad) and i dont really feel like buying a new alt any time soon.

p.s. my new amp is a hifonics zrx1500.1d

my old amp was a hifonics bxi 2006d

So this is my solutions i came up with //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif. Just gonna use this amp for like a week and then put it on craigslist. Im almost certain someone will buy it( maybe even a few bucks more than what i paid for it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif). Especially if i list it as never used. Then ill put that money to a new amp that i can wire to 4 ohms. . I was looking and either the precision power PPI BK1800.1D, the equivelant to my old hifonics amp which is the BRX 2001d. Both 700watts at 4 ohms or the Re audio CTX-3200.1 which is 600watts @4ohms.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.