quick question on switching head units.

stay_high
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Florida
Upgrading my HU to something that has more RCA outputs. Whats the difference between a 2V output and a 4V? I now 4V is better but idk why. Also, when i switch them out, will the new one just automaticly fit in the slot the old one was in? I have a dash kit and wiring harness and all that in. Will i have to buy a new wiring harness or just plug the old on into the new? and how do i connect the new one? by cutting all the wires and re connecting them to the new one? Like krimping all the wires?

haha anyone? mainly wondering about the wiring. Is it just a matter of unplugging that big cord (the one with all the colored wires coming off it) from my current HU and plugging it into the new HU? Or do i need to buy a new wiring harness and cut then reconnect wires?

cut harness out re-attach new harness in same color to color fashion. 2v vs 4v is not much of an improvement however the bonus to it is a stronger signal. Not really clearer but stronger and in that you will have to adjust your input sensitivity of external amplifiers to match.

cut harness out re-attach new harness in same color to color fashion. 2v vs 4v is not much of an improvement however the bonus to it is a stronger signal. Not really clearer but stronger and in that you will have to adjust your input sensitivity of external amplifiers to match.
So should i spend the extra money to get something 4V or just save some cash and get a 3 volt? Since i need a HU with 3 RCA inputs.

So i need a new wiring harness?

So this is what im probably gona buy. Has 4 volt front rear and sub rca outs, hpf, and lpf. Which is all i need. However do i need a HPF and a LPF since im using an amp for my subs and my door speakers? Like the amps have these settings on them so do i need a HU with them too?Clarion CZ401 CD receiver at Crutchfield.com
Nice to see you are upgrading... u needed it. Did you consider that h/u I suggested? It's d.amn good for the price...

Nice to see you are upgrading... u needed it. Did you consider that h/u I suggested? It's d.amn good for the price...
Yea but i would rather get something new =/. Plus i have to wait for my HU to sell so someone will probably buy that one before myn sells. looking at this now. Looks and reviews are better than the clarion. This is the most im willing to spend.

Kenwood Excelon KDC-X396 CD receiver at Crutchfield Outlet

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

But yea dude. The one i have now makes my 6x8's sound like ****... I need more pre amp outputs!!!

Yea but i would rather get something new =/. Plus i have to wait for my HU to sell so someone will probably buy that one before myn sells. looking at this now. Looks and reviews are better than the clarion. This is the most im willing to spend.Kenwood Excelon KDC-X396 CD receiver at Crutchfield Outlet

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

But yea dude. The one i have now makes my 6x8's sound like ****... I need more pre amp outputs!!!
Kenwood excelon is a great budget hu, so either way you can't go wrong. I'd still get a used 492 for seventy over a new 396 for 110. hu's don't just quit unless they're abused. and abused hu's don't get sold here if they care about their rep.

Kenwood excelon is a great budget hu, so either way you can't go wrong. I'd still get a used 492 for seventy over a new 396 for 110. hu's don't just quit unless they're abused. and abused hu's don't get sold here if they care about their rep.
Yea but that one sold i believe. Plus i just convinced my dad to buy me a new HU as a graduation present. (high school graduation is next week). So i now have a budget of about $135 but he only wants to buy new -_-. So im gona get that kenwood. Unless you can suggest something better for $135 or less.

Hey man could you answer me one more question? Im selling my current HU tomoro and im wondering how i remove it. Ok so obviously i just unplug the RCA's. But that big *** black cord all the way to the right?? Do i just yank that out of the the back of HU? Cuz i pulled it pretty hard and it woudnt come loose? and the rainbow wires. Where do i cut them at? I gota leave it hooked up so the buyer can hear it so i dont wana look dumb when he wants it and neither of us know how to remove it.... lol.View attachment 26532779

So this is what im probably gona buy. Has 4 volt front rear and sub rca outs, hpf, and lpf. Which is all i need. However do i need a HPF and a LPF since im using an amp for my subs and my door speakers? Like the amps have these settings on them so do i need a HU with them too?Clarion CZ401 CD receiver at Crutchfield.com
That's a good choice. When your head unit and amps both have HPF and LPF settings you need to run one or the other. I like to use the head unit's filters and run the amps full range.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.