Quick port area/volume question

Participant count
  • Participant list

BTF

CarAudio.com Newbie
Oklahoma
If EVERYTHING else stays the same, does port area and/or volume need to be different for different amplifier powers? In other words, if I change from a 1000W amp to a 1500W amp on the same sub, will I need to change any box parameters?

It would be a good idea to check the port velocity and cone displacement for the new power level.

The extra power will push the cone further which can exceed the physical limits of the driver.

If port velocity is too high then the port will need to be enlarged, which means it will need to be longer to maintain the same tuning, which displaces more volume in turn shrinking the volume, requiring the port to be even longer.

See where that is going?

Thanks Kush! I modeled it in WinISD and at 1500w, port velocity is under 21m/s and excursion reaches max under my subsonic cutoff frequency, so I should be okay, right? Or will the rolloff at cutoff be too slow and cause issues?

Last edited:
It would be a good idea to check the port velocity and cone displacement for the new power level.

The extra power will push the cone further which can exceed the physical limits of the driver.

If port velocity is too high then the port will need to be enlarged, which means it will need to be longer to maintain the same tuning, which displaces more volume in turn shrinking the volume, requiring the port to be even longer.

See where that is going?
Here’s a link to a post on the SSA forum, but no one has responded. If you or anyone else wouldn’t mind looking at the WinISD graphs I posted and give me some feedback, I’d appreciate it!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.