quick help regarding an alpine sub?

dalegribs
10+ year member

US
Found an Alpine SWR-1223D for what I think is a good deal.

My question is.. would this 2ohm sub work with my Infinity Kappa Five 5 channel amp?

The amp has a sub channel that can run 4ohm @ 200 watts, or 2ohm @300 watts.

I would like to run it at 2 ohms to get the 300 watt rms.

Is this Alpine Type R 2 ohm subwoofer a good match?

Also, if I were to get a 4ohm sub, would i be restricted to only run it at 4ohm ,even though my amp is 2ohm capable?

Forgive my ignorance, please. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Found an Alpine SWR-1223D for what I think is a good deal.
My question is.. would this 2ohm sub work with my Infinity Kappa Five 5 channel amp?

The amp has a sub channel that can run 4ohm @ 200 watts, or 2ohm @300 watts.

I would like to run it at 2 ohms to get the 300 watt rms.

Is this Alpine Type R 2 ohm subwoofer a good match?

Also, if I were to get a 4ohm sub, would i be restricted to only run it at 4ohm ,even though my amp is 2ohm capable?

Forgive my ignorance, please. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
Get a dual four ohm sub(so it can be wired to 2 ohms), and build a nice ported enclosure. Also, an obsidian audio, or ssa dcon sub will sound better on low power.

Thanks for the reply. So I will need to get a dvc 4ohm sub so i can wire it to 2 ohms from my sub.

I will be sticking with the sealed enclosure for now, as I already have 12' box. I will check out the models you suggested.

Subwoofer Wiring Diagrams, One 2 ohm Dual Voice Coil (DVC) Speaker.My opinion for that small of spacing,Id recommend a good 10in sub,DVC4 ohm to run @2ohms mono on your amplifier.
Thanks for the diagram. Very useful.

I was thinking about going with a single 10', but I already have a 12' sealed enclosure, so I am thinking about reusing it just to save a bit on cash.

If I choose to go with a 10, I need to find a new enclosure.

Thanks for the diagram. Very useful.
I was thinking about going with a single 10', but I already have a 12' sealed enclosure, so I am thinking about reusing it just to save a bit on cash.

If I choose to go with a 10, I need to find a new enclosure.
Not really,..you can make a baffell/reface the opening with a piece of 1/2 MDFand make the opening for a ten no problem.Whats the cu ft/deminsions of the enclosure,and thickness?You can find a ten for the over all spacing that will work just fine,if not better than the 12 you had

The AB sub woofer is very nice for the price, and yes sir dvc 4ohm to wire to a 2ohm load on both coils as the wiring diagram i sent you.Your amplifier is stable @2ohms bridged/mono load as stated earlier

Also, an obsidian audio, or ssa dcon sub will sound better on low power.
Obsidian audio, eh? I'm checking out there website/facebook page right now. You have any firsthand experience with them? [edit] at least 3 weeks shipping for newest version.

Guess I should say I am more interested in SQ at this point. The Alpine SWR-10D4 is another option I am looking at.

Obsidian audio, eh? I'm checking out there website/facebook page right now. You have any firsthand experience with them? [edit] at least 3 weeks shipping for newest version.
Guess I should say I am more interested in SQ at this point. The Alpine SWR-10D4 is another option I am looking at.
Not personally, no. but people here rave about them on low power. Apparently they have a very flat response in the proper enclosure, and are excellent for sq.

I have run RE SRX12 and Infinity Kappa 120.9w on a 250watts of power, both filled the cabin with bass and sounded good. As others say, you need a subwoofer with either single 2ohm or dual 4ohm voice coil. Alpine SWR-1223/1243 Type-R has sensitivity comparable to these, so the result should be similar. Image Dynamics IDQ subwoofer have pretty good sensitivity, maybe slightly better than these, and good qtc in a compact sealed box (1cu ft), but they're a lot more expensive. The cheaper Image Dynamics ID may be worth to check out too.

You can have decent SQ and SPL. If you want to extract the most bass on a limited power, try go with a 12 inch subwoofer that has reasonable qtc in your sealed box volume. If you want to use a 10 inch subwoofer, try Alpine's SWS-10D4. It's cheaper than SWR-10 and supposedly has better sensitivity and better design for SQ. I wouldn't recommend the 12 inch SWS-12D4 as it oddly has a very high qtc on a normal sized sealed box.

Alpine SWR-1223/1243 Type-R has sensitivity comparable to these, so the result should be similar.
I am hoping to pick up a SWR1243D tomorrow, if the store has any left in stock. I figured I can save a bit of cash by getting that model instead of the newer SWR-12D4.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I definitely appreciate it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.