quick glass ?'s

kpozr2
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
before i start on this first one i have a few easy questions to ask to people who have done this before.

1.) when applying the first layer of resin to the tape, do you just put a coat of resin on and then let it dry, then put resin + mat on? or 1st coat= resin+mat together?

2.) whats the best release agent? i have tons of double wide blue painters tape, but do i need somethin else and where do i apply it and how soon before i start glassing should i put it on?

cooking spray is a good agent. might as well lay down the mat while the resin mix is still wet //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

YOu won't need any release agent with the tape. SO qas long as you don't let it sit in there fully cured, it will come off really easy because the heat in the chemical reaction during the resin curing process actually softens the tape adhesive, and in the golden 5 minute period( plus or minus depending on how hot you mix it) you can pull out your shell, and peel off the tape to start building up glass from there. But if you get intoa situation where you need a releasing agent, try cooking spray like already suggested, vasoline, johnsons floor wax also can be used. A hint: you can lay out your line with a permanent marker on the tape before you lay the glass, and then the line will transfer into the glass so you now have your cut line already on it.

automotive paste wax works as well. Just remember to use a couple layers of tape as resin has a way of finding seams. Most of the time, if I'm laying small pieces of mat. I'll use a large piece of cardboard to wet out the mat on first. Then just apply the resined mat, and work out any airbubbles with my trusty roller //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.