Question on setting gain

Participant count
  • Participant list

accuab
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I know all of the tutorials say to turn all eq off while setting the gain but is this correct? If you set it with your eq flat and then listen to your music with a higher eq setting, wouldn't this be causing a higher input than you set it at? It would seem that you would actually want to set everything like you listen to your music before setting the gain. Am I wrong in this thought process?

when they say that they mean about loudness. bass boost anything thats going to apply to your bass going to your amp which causes distorion. and when you equalize your music dont set everything real high

I know all of the tutorials say to turn all eq off while setting the gain but is this correct? If you set it with your eq flat and then listen to your music with a higher eq setting, wouldn't this be causing a higher input than you set it at? It would seem that you would actually want to set everything like you listen to your music before setting the gain. Am I wrong in this thought process?
You got it. Still more tell you to set with a -3db sine wave. So you reduce the signal, then jack up the gain.

Google setting gain with piezo tweeter. May keep you from clipping instead of following directions that promote it.

when most people tell you to keep your eq flat, it's mainly due to the fact that most do their eq tuning through either a standalone eq, or their amps... and having your eq flat on your HU will keep the signal clean and unclipped for a longer range of signal strength

when most people tell you to keep your eq flat, it's mainly due to the fact that most do their eq tuning through either a standalone eq, or their amps... and having your eq flat on your HU will keep the signal clean and unclipped for a longer range of signal strength
True. But most people don't have eqs in their vehicles. Some have external processors but the majority don't. Setting the gain with a flat eq on the hu then changing the eq for your music is just asking for clipping. Most people will add bass on their hu which will change the input voltage and have a clipped signal.

yes, but the main reason you set a flat eq, and keep it there, is because once you start changing the eq, then your gain settings are all off.... i know that sounds simple, and obvious... but let me explain my reasoning... most set sub gains with a 40-60hz test tune (depending on set up), and high gains with a 1khz (we wont even go into staging for this one, lol)... now, if you go playing around with your eq, you may end up changing your hu's output for the sub at say 30-38 hz, and your highs at 2.5 khz (just examples)... you could go back and check your signal for clipping, and it would still read clean, even tho it's clipping at certain frequencies... THAT is the main reason that most say to set your EQ flat and leave it... unless your going to set your eq, and test at varying frequencies, it is the simplest way to avoid clipping.

I've been doing some reading around and the 50 ha test tone thinking is all wrong since the impedance is lower below that frequency. Your watts reading is then much higher than what you set it at. The clipping would seem to occur wherever you boost on your eq since you set the gain to its max with a lower input. Whereas if you set it with your eq set like you would use it you would need a tone at a boosted frequency. Idk some of the tutorials just seem too vague to cover all setups. I guess that's why an oscilloscope is the best way to set it.

what i'm saying here, and the reason that most tutorials say the same, is that it is just the simplest way to ensure you root out clipping... is it the way I personally set up gains, no... but i also use an o-scope and a test cd from 20hz-3khz, and take about 2 hours staging everything.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.