Question on Big 3

woodplock7
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Florida
Hey im currently doing Big 3 and ive got the alt to pos done as well as neg to ground, but the chassis to engine block is confusing me im not really sure what the engine block is and i was wondering if i could use this bolt (or if its a good idea) on the alternator mounting bracket. Or what else should i use, Ive got a 99 Grand Am. Here are some pics

If you see anything that i should use just let me know im confused on this part and wanna get it done //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Thanks!

do not use that bolt.

That is very good belt-to-pulley contact. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

what bolt should i use im not quite sure and i wanna get the big 3 done //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif any suggestions i could take more pics if ya guys want me to. Thanks tapout

Look around your engine (most likely by the firewall) for a strap that looks like this:

Ground%20Strap.jpg

Ok ill try and look for that but the thing is im not quite sure what the engine block is can any1 help me out on that

Ouch you dont know what your engine block is?

When ya find that out look around the tranny for the wire its where it was on mine, and some others

not sure if anyone has said this but

Follow the stock wiring batt to chassis chassis to block mine was all one wire

ya i know i fail at life for not knowing what the engine block is :p but the good news is that i think i found it i followed a wire that was located near the negative ground to a bolt that im assuming is the engine block. Its right next to the transmission fluid. The bad news is i have no idea how im suppose to get that bolt up it looks really hard to get up. heres a pic

Long wobbly extension with a wobble or universal join + magnetic socket(or a claw parts puller to yank it out)

After that, grab the bolt. Scuff up the wire terminal where it will mate with the block, Place the wire terminal on the bolt. add some superglue between the bolt and the terminal and let it dry. You dont want alot, just enough to keep it from snapping off while your putting it back in.

Add some dielectric grease to the scuffed up side of the terminal. Use a claw puller(I prefer them) or magnetic extension to place it back and tighten.

You can obviously skip some steps but I wouldn't

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.