Question on amp for W7?

kinz020

I have a question. I just got a JL 12W7 and am putting it in a jeep wrangler. I had a 12W3 running off a 400 watt amp. I need to know what kind of amp I need. I know my old amp isn't going to do it. I was also wondering what ohm load it is going to be running. I was looking at a kenwood excelon KAC-X401M. But I don't know if the W7's are 2 or 4 ohms. Please help.

Yeah they are, but I didn't know if that would change. Like the W3 I had in there, I had the amp bridged so it brought it down to a 2 ohm load instead of a 4. How do I figure out how much power it is going to get with a 3 ohm. Most amps only tell you in 2 or 4?

Okay...my Audiobahn Alum10x subs are dual 6 ohm. If I run them in parrallel, then they will create a 3 ohm load to each amp. My JBL 1200.1 is 1200 watts at 2 ohms and 600 watts at 4 ohms. Therefore this makes my amp push 900 watts at 3 ohms. Do you see where I'm going with this. You basically find the median of power. Here is another example. If I had a JBL 600.1 hooked up to my Audiobahn this is what it would look like. The JBl 600.1 is 600 watts at 2 ohms and 300 at 2 ohms. Therefore my amp would be pushing 450 watts at 3 ohms.

get the biggest you can get....bare min would be a jl 500/1 prefferablly a 1000/1 when it comes out..... i might also suggest getting realllllly strong midbass speakers from listening i have done the w7's go deep easy but sorta miss stuff above 40 hz. test cd i used was 1997 iasca disc. the average joe wont miss it but at $500+ bucks each the average joe isnt gona get these. but then again if you use jl seperates they have decent midbass. just dont skimp. these would kick a$$ in a home theater though lol

Originally posted by audiolife get the biggest you can get....bare min would be a jl 500/1 prefferablly a 1000/1 when it comes out..... i might also suggest getting realllllly strong midbass speakers from listening i have done the w7's go deep easy but sorta miss stuff above 40 hz. test cd i used was 1997 iasca disc. the average joe wont miss it but at $500+ bucks each the average joe isnt gona get these. but then again if you use jl seperates they have decent midbass. just dont skimp. these would kick a$$ in a home theater though lol
This is true b/c your system is only as good as your weakest link

The whole problem with having midbass speakers is room. I don't have anywhere to put some. I have a 98 Jeep Wrangler. So it is already gonna be crunched in there. In the back I will have the W7, under the back seat I will have two amps in amp racks, (one for the W7 and one for the highs and mids), and a XM tuner. My mids are 5.25's. So they don't give even a little bass. I also have a 1 farad cap in the bottom part of my center console covered with plexi. So I mean I don't have hardly any room at all. Any advice??? Thanks.

-Chris

what 5.25 you got? and i think you would be suprized what you can achieve with a 5.25 midbass wise its just lack of total output of a small driver. if you listen to complex music with a w7 i think you will see what i mean..but i also am used to hearing that cd with 8" midbasses in my kicks...but to me it lacked detail and snap...mids and highs were diamond (good speaker but i aint a fan) low end was awesome though. midbass is for the most part non directional..try a single 8 or a 2 utopia 5.25 subs from focal to add some snap...at lowwer volumes should sound awesome again with lack of size and therefor less output at high volumes that w7 just gonna eat all your other speakers up hehe not bad though for jammin

Yea get the 1000/1 its gonna be a powerhouse i cant wait to get my hands on one. All you would need to do is wire the amp into 1ohm by just runing your sub parrllel and making it a 1 ohm load if i am not mistakin.

whats the rms on the w7. I would say go crossfire vr2000d. It just came out so you might have to look around but it is a bad A$$ amp.

don't forget the mtx 81000D. some 1100 wrms+ for around $400(at least where i'm from). for your mid's crutchfield and 4wd.com both sell 6x9 box's for your TJ. they lock in between your sportbar and rear fender hump. they face forward and should help to keep up with the w7. just opt for the empty ones and put your own choice of speaker in!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.