question on 4 guage wiring kit.

Participant count
  • Participant list

dimhof
10+ year member

i will be running a 1500 watt rms rockford fosgate amp with two rf subs. i just got a four guage amp wiring kit in the mail today and it says up to 800 watts. will this be alright or will i have to go to zero guage or what not...i had to ask before i sent it back. thanks in advance.

well if you plan on upgrading later on in the future just go ahead and get the 0/1 gauge kit it'll be better in the long run, but if you dont want to spend the cash i think that amp kit should work

yea you should just go ahead and buy the 0/1 gauge amp kit it will do you better if that other amp kit only does 800(i didnt see that when i first posted) how many cubic feet will your box be

i got two seperate boxes. each box will be around 1.2-1.3 cubic feet. yea i'll go ahead and send that kit back. any suggestions for a good price on a zero guage kit?

Don't listen to any of them. Your 4 guage kit is plenty, it can handle the amps that your amp is putting out. ONLY and I repeat, ONLY get a new kit IF YOU WILL BUY A SECOND AMP IN THE FUTURE. If that is the only amp you'll run, you'll be fine. The kit says 800watts... except wires don't really know watts, they know amps. Cause those watts are different at different ohms... why the hell rate wire in watts? THink about it.. 800 watts @ 2 ohms is generally around 1600 @ 1 ohm, and 400 @ 4 ohms (depending on the amp of course). Check the AMP rating on your amplifier, then just make sure the wire can handle the AMPs that your Car amp will use.

And with 1500w RMS you can run it through 4 ga. just fine.

T.J.

The kit says 800watts... except wires don't really know watts, they know amps. Cause those watts are different at different ohms... why the hell rate wire in watts? THink about it.. 800 watts @ 2 ohms is generally around 1600 @ 1 ohm, and 400 @ 4 ohms (depending on the amp of course). Check the AMP rating on your amplifier, then just make sure the wire can handle the AMPs that your Car amp will use.
You think that those watts just magically appear from the amp. The amp may be rated at 400@4 and 800@2 and 1600@1 but it will draw a different amount of current at each load. At 4 ohms it would be around 60A at 2 ohms around 120A and at 1 over 200A to make rated power. The power rating of the amp wiring kit is based on the ballpark amount of current an amp would be drawing to make that amount of power. Since wiring kits are generally marketed to newbs it makes sense to give the amount of amplifier wattage that the kit can generally support.

If you run your system cranked fairly often, that wire kit will not be enough. You will need an undersized fuse under the hood to protect the wire itself and you will end up blowing it at high volumes. Go with 1/0 wire.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.