• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
  • Replies 8
  • Views 1K
    Participant count
  • Participant list
U

Unregistered

is it possible to have a dummy 4 or 8ohm load? In other words, is it possible to maybe take two old voice coils at 4 ohms each (that don't necessarily work but will provide the impedence) and wire it in line with my DVC sub to bring my impedence back to four ohms??

is this a stupid idea?? are there better ways to acheive this??

Basically all you would need is a resistor rated for the appropriate ohm load you need.

What exactly are you trying to do here?

There could be several easier ways to work with this.

take it easy,

-zane

I have a DVC sub (I got it by mistake and cannot return it). I want to connect it to my Punch 360.2 amp. I have asked questions on here about it before. I have asked Rockford and the tech says that I should not wire the DVC in parallel as it would be giving the amp a 2ohm load.... and the amp would probably overheat.

What I was wondering if there is any way I can wire another 2ohm load in the circuit (in series) without shelling out more money for another sub. This is why I was wondering if someone's dead DVC speaker could act as another 2ohm load to bring my total impedence to 4ohms again (2ohm + 2ohm wired in series = 4ohms = something my amp can handle = happy me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif ).... does this make sense?

If you say a resistor would work... where would I get something that could handle that kind of voltage and wattage? If there is a better way of doing this let me know...

OH, and I don't have the money to sell my stuff and buy new stuff... nor do I have the patience b/c I have been in the process of outfitting my car for a while now and I want to just get it done.

Well how can I put this. The RF tech gave you a little incorrect information.

The 360.2 will take 2 ohms mono. I can personally attest to this. As with any amp, just be sure that you have adequette airflow arround it.

Wiring your DVC at 2 ohms is the best way to go.

One thing of interest, RF says that this line of thier amps can not handle 2 ohms?

This would mean that the Profile 600SX would be a far more capable amplifier than RF's 360.2- as the Profile will operate quite well at 2ohms.

RF is slipping on thier quality, that is obvious to many in this industry, however, to claim that thier amps can not take 2 ohms- is either completely false, or someone at RF R&D needs to re-think things a bit.

take it easy,

-zane

thanks for the help!

Actually I told the guy at Best Buy (I know I know... but I got it for a good deal) and he said that he would wire it 2ohm anyway because I have the service plan and if it blows up... I'll get a Punch 400s... which is rated at 400W @ 4 ohms.... and I won't have to pay for anything extra.

So, thanks for your help Zane and LuRp. I thought that resistor/dead voicecoil thing would be a bad idea... but in theory I guess it would work. Someone should come out with a product that can do this type of thing and make impedences match... like a variable resistor that can handle a large amount of current.

Thanks,

-BT

Quick question. A little more info on the sub. Let me see if I am reading you post right. You are trying to hook one sub to the amp right? One DVC sub, were each voice coil is 2 ohms right? or are they both 4 ohm? If they are two, why couldn't you wire them in series, then parallel to the amp, therefore presenting a 4 ohm load. Right Zane?? If they are both 4 ohm loads, then I see were it would go down to two ohms. And I also was told by fosgate that their amps would only run at 4 ohms stable, well they are covering their own a**es. I ran my XLCs at 2 ohm for over two years, you just must have the amp where it can get enough air passing over it to cool it, just like Zane said. And heck if you got a warranty, push it to the limit, break it, then take it back and get a better one lol. Good Luck.

my input on this: fosgate amps are notorious for overheating, when i first got my 800.2 it shut off on me due to high heat level. couple days later i went out and bought a lightning audio cooling fan and hooked it up. it hasnt shut off on me since, i dont know how well it actually works, but so far so good, have had it for about 2-3 weeks now.

question for zane now. sometimes when i stick my key in the ignition and start my car right away, i get very very very little sound. i think the amp in my head unit doesnt start or something, i wouldnt quite know, but i'm sure you would. what i usually have to do now is turn my car on, wait for the fan to run, then start it. the guy at the store said it could be the remote turn on in my head unit, but i dont wanna go spend however much they wanna charge me to take a look at it. could it be the way i wired my fan and my second amp? what i did was hook the remote of the fan up to my alpine amp, and my alpine amp remote to the fosgate remote. each amp has 2 remote wires going to it, is this going to create any problems? this was the only way i could think of wiring it, so that's what i did.

Firstly, I hope you are turning off the HU when you leave the car, not doing this can cause damage to the circuitry inside by having that start up "jolt" of energy. When you first start your car- voltage surges through your cars electrical system rapidly, making voltage spikes more likely. Fuses are designed to gaurd against this, however, this is also why ASE reccomends shutting off all accessories when you leave your vehicle. Not only for that reason, also for the extra tax they place on the starting and charging systems on start up- demanding current instantaniously. This can lead to premature alternator,regulator, starter failure.

Anyway--->

The sound not being there right away could easily be a protection feature on the HU itself. RF as well as Panasonic among a few others do include this on several of thier HU's.

I would also look at the remote wiring- you said you have two remote wires going from each amp- this could cause current flow problems- Try re-wiring your remote to a relay that has 3 output terminals, 1 for each amp and 1 for the fan.

This should cure the problem.

Take it easy,

-zane

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.