Question about volume

Participant count
  • Participant list

shakenfake

CarAudio.com Newbie
I bought a sub box back in high school to run two 12s I bought on the cheap. I was a little bit of a smooth brain then and did not take into account box volume and using the proper amp. My current/old setup is 2 kicker 12s, can't remember the exact model off hand but I can find it when I get off work I believe they are rated at 650 RMS, and a Lanzar heritage HTG558BT that I got for free. I was running both subs off their own dual channel 1000 Watt segment. I have definitely blown one of them as it sounds as if it is underwater or something whenever it hits.
I will have another thread about my new set up soon after I get some answers to these couple questions.

I bought this box https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0052QDQP8/?tag=caraudiocom-20 it says that it has a net volume of 2.24 but then it goes on to say .63 for each sub. How is that possible? I must be missing something here because I don't get how you go from 2.24 to .63?

Next question, did I screw myself buying this box? Because if it really is .63" for each sub then how the hell do you fit two 12s in there and actually have them sound nice? After blowing one sub I'd like to change my whole set up and make sure I do it right this time.

Their is a typo on Amazon. If you look at the manufactures website they list the airspace at .93 cubic feet. Which is still not enough for most 12’s. You would be better off looking at 8’s or 10’s for that kind of space.

That is what I figured. I had found someone that seemed to be the manufacturer but didn't want to assume.

I guess now my issue is that the holes are obviously meant for a 12" so I guess that means new box new everything. I would prefer not to drop a ton of money on a new sound system but I guess that is the price you pay for the mistakes you make as a young man lol

Would a single 10" ported EDIT: or sealed box hit hard enough that I could feel it and get a good SQ out of it or am I just looking for something that doesn't exist at that point? Don't know if I would go back to the 2 subwoofer setup, don't really care to rattle the block as long as I am just rattling my brain and providing a good sound inside the truck.

Any suggestions on what road I should attempt to go down?

Last edited:
It has both numbers! Typo is the correct answer.

Screenshot_20210819-010104_Chrome.jpg

That is what I figured. I had found someone that seemed to be the manufacturer but didn't want to assume.

I guess now my issue is that the holes are obviously meant for a 12" so I guess that means new box new everything. I would prefer not to drop a ton of money on a new sound system but I guess that is the price you pay for the mistakes you make as a young man lol

Would a single 10" ported EDIT: or sealed box hit hard enough that I could feel it and get a good SQ out of it or am I just looking for something that doesn't exist at that point? Don't know if I would go back to the 2 subwoofer setup, don't really care to rattle the block as long as I am just rattling my brain and providing a good sound inside the truck.

Any suggestions on what road I should attempt to go down?

What about the same box and a single 12"? Just cover one hole and only install one 12" sub. I would try to find a ported box for a single 12" or 2 - 10".

I did have that thought about same box single 12 but I believe that there is a wall between the two subwoofers. I could be wrong but I am almost certain there is. If there is a wall though I am worried about cutting through and losing the integrity of the box.

I was recommended to check out the Infinity Kappa 1200w subwoofer. That one allows me to actually go back to 2 12s since it only requires a volume of .9 for each sub. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N44N3L/?tag=caraudiocom-20

I wouldve bought this box even at the higher price. And 12s are a tight fit but can work if they are designed for smaller boxes.

For kicker I wouldn't put 12s in a small box as the brand as a whole tends to like larger boxes. I had 2 10inch comps in that box that sounded fantastic and I tend to hate on kicker. But that box with those particular subs was a winning setup.

Yeah those boxes are the same. 3 years ago there was no difference when I bought them.

So I have an idea that may sound dumb but is there a way that I can get an adapter plate to run tens in the box I have?

I plan on switching to tens 100% I just need to figure out what I want, if I want a single or if I want a double. I think double would be cool since I don't know if a single ten is going to make my cab sound and feel the way I want.

I was looking at a JL 10W1v3-4 or an MTX 5510-22. I think these might be on the opposite ends of the spectrum though lol I will be running a smaller box since it is in my truck so if you think Kicker wouldn't work then I can certainly understand that.

Edit: The reason why I am looking at a 4 ohm and then a 2 ohm is because of my amp, I am going to keep my current amp until I can get a monoblock and this allows me to run the JL at 250w 4 Ohms or the MTX at 350w 2 Ohms

Last edited:
Yeah those boxes are the same. 3 years ago there was no difference when I bought them.

So I have an idea that may sound dumb but is there a way that I can get an adapter plate to run tens in the box I have?

I plan on switching to tens 100% I just need to figure out what I want, if I want a single or if I want a double. I think double would be cool since I don't know if a single ten is going to make my cab sound and feel the way I want.

I was looking at a JL 10W1v3-4 or an MTX 5510-22. I think these might be on the opposite ends of the spectrum though lol I will be running a smaller box since it is in my truck so if you think Kicker wouldn't work then I can certainly understand that.

Edit: The reason why I am looking at a 4 ohm and then a 2 ohm is because of my amp, I am going to keep my current amp until I can get a monoblock and this allows me to run the JL at 250w 4 Ohms or the MTX at 350w 2 Ohms

While those boxes aren't the same, quality between them is vasty different, I don't see why you couldn't use an adapter plate to downsize the hole. Assuming there is still enough clearance for the cone to move without hitting the floor.

As far as going to 10s, there is no reason to spend more money and go to 10s when you have enough air space for many 12s. Jl does exceptionally well in small sealed boxes.

Power wise 350w per sub is on the low end but if that's what you have to work with it can do well.

Ohm load only matters to the amp so be it 4, 2, 1 ohm your ears won't notice a difference unless your amp induces distortion.

Yeah JL says it is 75-300 watts 300RMS

I just don’t wonder if 12s are going to be overkill for the application. I’m wondering if one high end ten, such as JL 10W3 even, could outperform and still meet expectations in comparison to sticking with two 12s.

It would be cheaper for me to do 10s than 12s. I have equipment to sell to fund this or I could always pay outright. Not a big deal sometimes you switch set ups :)

Yeah JL says it is 75-300 watts 300RMS

I just don’t wonder if 12s are going to be overkill for the application. I’m wondering if one high end ten, such as JL 10W3 even, could outperform and still meet expectations in comparison to sticking with two 12s.

It would be cheaper for me to do 10s than 12s. I have equipment to sell to fund this or I could always pay outright. Not a big deal sometimes you switch set ups :)

Too much bass is easy to deal with. It's as simple a lowering settings. Namely the sub amps gain

That is true. Probably going to start looking at picking something up in the next week or so. Still am undecided but I'll find something I like haha

Edit: @winkychevelle you mentioned that JL does well in small enclosures. None of the JL 12s seem to fit my .93 cube enclosure though? The closest they have is like a .25 inches away. Any thoughts on if that would be too big of a difference?

Last edited:
Actually you know what. Bobby you are way more intelligent than I. A single 12" covering the other hole gives me 2.24 cubes I guess according to the website. Is that reasonable considering the shape of the box? Would the shape of the box cause the sub to be restricted in anyway? Now on the opposite end of the spectrum would a sub that is said to fit in like a 1.5 cubic inch space still sound okay in the larger space or would it **** ass?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...