Question about tuning for first SQ build

Participant count
  • Participant list

BENNYBLANCO1414

CarAudio.com Newbie
i am building my first SQ setup and i am still new to tuning more then just using a 40hz tone and DD-1 and I wanted to ask about time alignment and tuning... okay first my build
front :
illusion audio Electra E6 6.5 components (crossover and woofer only)- active
zapco I force tweeters- active
rear: illusion audio l6cx - active
sub: JL Audio 12w3v3-2 ported box 30 hz
amp: zapco st1650, zapco z150.ap, zapco stx4sq
dsp: Audio Dynamics addsp68
car: 2013 KIA Sorento

i will be using REW and a dayton audio imm6 (i will be upgrading to UMI-1 soon) ... so after I do the time alignment i begin the tuning process by connecting the imm-6 to my laptop and connecting to my dsp. i turn off speakers besides my tweets, play pink noise, record it using the RTA on rew, switch over to EQ on REW, match response on REW and input those number into the dsp until and repeat until i get close enough to the REW prediction. i repeat these steps with the following speakers so my question is
1. after i tune my speakers they sound so low and dead that I almost max out the volume
2. how do i tune a subwoofer? i do the same steps as with the other speakers and I input those numbers in and it seems to have no bass at all.... i have read audiofrogs forume on tuning but still cant get a full grasp to understand what he is talking about so what are some suggestions and ways some of you guys tune your systems? I forgot to mention that my HU isnt working so I been using my dsp's bluetooth playing music and tones from my phone.... thank you

1. after i tune my speakers they sound so low and dead that I almost max out the volume
It's a known fact that flat on the RTA doesn't sound good to people and the only reason you'd want to do it is for some sort of competition which judged for that. It's not a bad baseline to start but if you actually plan on listening to music you're probably going to enjoy a response curve that looks more like a smile than a flat line.

I can't speak for how any of your DSP equipment is supposed to work, but conventional wisdom in using EQ to get to a flat response involves dropping all other frequencies down to meet your lowest point as opposed to boosting that one spot so it's possible that this is all working as intended and you will either want a lot more headroom to push up beyond that, or you can try to figure out where your null(s) were with an RTA without any processing and bring them up some by playing with crossover points, driver locations/phase, or other tweaks before you start leaning on the EQ to flatten things out.

NOT having a proper head unit for a source may not be helping either.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.