Question about the mach 460 tweeters

Participant count
  • Participant list

flare243000

mi
I have a Mustang with the mach 460 system in it and just recently added an aftermarket headunit. I then ran all new wires to the front door and back speakers to bypass the factory amps. I have the tweeters disconnected at the moment in fear I might blow them out by wiring them up to the doors. I guess the strange thing is that the tweeters are set at a HPF around 300mhz and the door speakers only play lows.

I went to ABC Warehouse to get some bass blockers, I guess they're just regular capacitors, but the guy told me that with the mach 460 system that the tweeters actually come with built in crossovers and I can just wire them up to my door speakers and they should automaticly filter out the bass. I'm just trying to get another opinion on the tweeters if in fact they do have built in crossovers or if I need to get the bass blockers? I don't want to hook them up and have them instantly blow out because of the bass.

Just to clarify, 300mhz is the frequency for an aircraft beacon (LORAN). You mean 3khz or, 3000hz.

I don't have experience with that system but I would think it's got passive crossovers on the tweets. That's a lot cheaper than active crossovers and does the job just fine for tweets. In my Dodge truck,, the Infinity tweets had passive crossovers in the windshield posts very close to the tweeters, so if someone you trust has already told you they have crossovers, I'd bet they do.

One way to find out is to connect them and play the system at low volume. If they burn your ears, they aren't protected. If they're clean and not too loud, they're likely protected. But as was said above, your best bet is to remove them and make sure they are.

Just take a look at the back of one of the tweeters and verify a capacitor being installed in-line with one lead. To be honest though, low volume or power and simply listening to it verifying whether or not it is distorting and/or attempting to play lower frequncies is just fine. Although, I can bet there is indeed a little passive filter on there. Easy to check though ;-)

My 2010 hhr came with factory tweeters with the little bass blocker cap thingy.

Who cares, though, they are stock tweeters, lol.

But they should be 4 ohm tweeters and 4 ohm mid's and you can bridge them together to make the amp see 2 ohm for each pair (basically like a set of components)

And yeah, you gotta actually take a look at them instead of guessing.

I put my stock tweeters and mids on an amp and they sound much louder, clearer and crisper. I shake my head when people suggest you just upgrade them, without actually putting them on an amp first.

You can use an electronic crossover at about 2k if you really want to protect them. I did that, and they got super ******* loud and still work to this day.

Yeah I hooked them up and did a 100hz test and they ended up playing it so They don't have a crossover. Did you just get a 5 channel amp and hooked them up?

Yeah I hooked them up and did a 100hz test and they ended up playing it so They don't have a crossover. Did you just get a 5 channel amp and hooked them up?
The stock tweeters were designed to be ran on the head unit or "premium" factory amplifier. Not a decent amplifier. You really need to actually take them out and check.

I really suggest getting an electronic crossover at about 2-4khz. They are like $30 typically. (the great thing about these is they are universal and can be used on nearly any tweeters or mids)

I really cant stress enough how they were designed to be ran on the head units' low power.

They are a bit louder and clearer on an amp and crossover, but only small amount. Nothing like a pair of 50w rms tweeters on an amp and crossed at 4k (my situation)

I think you would be best to just get some vifa replacements that will fit in to replace the stock ones, get a crossover and 2 channel amp for them and call it a day. I like to control the level of sub, mids and teeeters, so i have everything running from a separate source.

You might be satisfie with just bridging them with the stock mids and running on a slightly higher powered amp though.

I cant really say what you will like. Just gotta play around with your options till you find something you like.

I had a 94 with the Mach 460 system. The 6x8 in the doors use one amp and are bridged mono. The rear deck 6x8 use the other amp, also mono. Both amps are in the rear deck and the speakers are NOT 4ohm. All 4 "tweeters" are powered from a small amp/x-over in the console under the HU/CD and are NOT 4ohm. (If I remember correctly)

Go to FLEMWORLD and clicky on Mach 460 for more info.

Like 2010HHR said, replace woofers and tweeters , x-over and amp. Pick tweeters that will fit in the factory tweeter pods.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.