Question about necessary subwoofer clearance:

Participant count
  • Participant list

Atlanta007
10+ year member

Atlanta
I'm planning to build a sealed, rectangular sub box to fit into this storage area behind the front seats - it's a convertible. Planning on a single 8" sub, firing up. I haven't chosen the sub yet, but thinking about a polk mm840 or one of the new alpine type Rs if they will fit, or possibly a shallow mount kenwood or pioneer or similar. Due to the limited space, the box size is limited to a max of about 6.0" deep, 24" long and 9.5" wide.

My question is whether there would be an issue with the sub firing directly into the lid like that with only an inch or so of clearance. I know I need enough space to make sure there would be no contact between sub and lid, just wondering if this is a bad idea overall. Given the space limitations and the fact it's a convertible, I'm realistic about what to expect.

Also, you can't see it in the photo, but there are two holes in the front of the storage area, with 5.25" speakers firing into the backs of the seats. My plan would just be to remove those speakers, leaving the grills in place.

The trunk is not really an option for a box, and I don't want to do any major modifications to that storage area.

Thanks for any input.

It ranges from about 6" deep in the middle to 7.5" or so on the ends. There is the transmission hump in the middle. I've mocked up some cardboard boxes and seems like a box 5.5" deep, 9.5" wide, and 25" long is the max that will fit.

A 6 or an 8 is about it then. Hmmm... Talk to some of the enclosure guys on here. Pro-rabb it (building my box as we speak), Ram designs, mobile enclosures.... To name a few. They could probably help you figure out something with the space limitations.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.