question about alternators from Bronco Graveyard site

Participant count
  • Participant list

Ridinhi
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
I have a 1996 F150 with the stock 95 amp alternator. I have power windows and with just putting my windows up/down, my voltage drops. Ive come across these high output alternators on Bronco Graveyard site and would like to know if it will be a good buy or not. Not sure who makes them. Im looking at either the 170 or 200 amp alternator. I am running a 400 watt 2 channel and a 600 watt mono amp. I did the big 3 but I used cca wire, 0 gauge. I just ordered some ofc 0 gauge and will be getting a Diehard agm from advance auto. My current battery is a walmart value battery, group 65( the $50 battery).
Opinions appreciated

Off brand HO alternator will probably be an upgrade over stock and do what you need. I certainly wouldn't suggest shelling out 500$ and up for a premium one for a 25 year old truck and a small stereo system. Honestly I'd just do a higher quality AGM battery up front and see if that doesn't do enough on its own first.

I've ordered from Bronco grave yard before. Good company. Butttt You can get a 130 amp 3G alternator out the junkyard for $40. They are pretty bullet proof alternators.

95a is the small case and 130 is the large case. Bolts right in and plug and play.

I've had a couple OBS F150s.

4 holes = 95amp and 2 holes = 130 amp
3g alt.jpg

Last edited:
I've ordered from Bronco grave yard before. Good company. Butttt You can get a 130 amp 3G alternator out the junkyard for $40. They are pretty bullet proof alternators.

95a is the small case and 130 is the large case. Bolts right in and plug and play.

I've had a couple OBS F150s.

4 holes = 95amp and 2 holes = 130 amp
View attachment 22789
If I find one that’s 130 amp, will I still be able to use my same belt? I’m asking because the pulley looks a tad smaller in the 130 amp unless it’s just the pic

Off brand HO alternator will probably be an upgrade over stock and do what you need. I certainly wouldn't suggest shelling out 500$ and up for a premium one for a 25 year old truck and a small stereo system. Honestly I'd just do a higher quality AGM battery up front and see if that doesn't do enough on its own first.
That’s exactly what I plan on doing. AGM plus I’ll try a 130 amp alternator if I find one a pull a part this weekend. Thanks for the info guys!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.