putting in a switch

Wils91
10+ year member

i was trying to put in a switch to be able to turn my amp on and off.

but for some reason after i hooked things up i would flip the swith and blow the fuse and shut everything down. i must be hooking something up wrong or backwards but i cant quite think of what it is and it is dark out and i didnt feel much like messing with it anymore.....so does anybody have any info on what could be going wrong or what i am doing wrong? cause i feel like an idiot:crying:

the switch has 3 prongs on the back, top one says "earth" middle says "load" and bottom says "supply"

i had everything split out of the radio harness tho. is that what could be causing my problem? and i had an inline fuse hooked up between the switch and where i was spliced into the harness

so i had the ground on "earth" the power hooked up to "supply" and the remote hooked onto "load" and when i did that i turned everything on and the radio worked and i flipped the switch and it blew the radio fuse. so i thought maybe that i needed to swith up "load" and "supply" but i still got the same result.

the switches also have a small l.e.d. in them if it makes any difference and whenever it was hooked up the led didnt even come on

Get a regular 12v two-prong switch. Splice your REM lead and connect one end to one prong, and the other end to the other.
VIOLA!
ok but i already have this switch and dont want to have to buy another.

but did i have it hooked up right? and if i did why am i blowing fuses?

sounds like you put two 12v lines on the switch. Not good. Hopefully you didn't fry the deck.

connect the remote from the radio to "supply" and connect the "load" to the remote lead on the amp.

If you want to use that 3 prong switch, do not use the ground on it. Splice into your amp turn on wire and attach one end to one prong and the other end to the other prong (do not use the ground prong). All your doing w/ the switch, is breaking the circuit. You can only wire it this way, because it is such a low voltage/ amp rating.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.