Purchasing amp (I'm new)

burton-

I'm new to car systems, so bare with me! My brother-in-law recently gave me two 10" MTX subs. Considering they were out of the box, i don't have any specs on them. I researched a little and they are deffinitly MTX Thunders, however i don't know the exact model (The side says dual 4 ohm). Here's a pic of what they look like.

sub6000.jpg

My question is what type of amp would be the best for these subs? I'm looking to spend around 200$ give or take. Thanks

I'm new to car systems, so bare with me! My brother-in-law recently gave me two 10" MTX subs. Considering they were out of the box, i don't have any specs on them. I researched a little and they are deffinitly MTX Thunders, however i don't know the exact model (The side says dual 4 ohm). Here's a pic of what they look like.
sub6000.jpg

My question is what type of amp would be the best for these subs? I'm looking to spend around 200$ give or take. Thanks
Well...if they are Dual 4 ohm, you could wire the pair and get them to a total of 1 ohm.

Thus meaning, that you would have to find a 1 ohm stable amp to push them. I don't know what the power ratings are on them, but I believe they are fairly low.

Just find a amp that is one ohm stable and the power you want to run.

Any idea on what kinda power you want to put to them ?

Here's what someone else told me on a different website:

"I'm taking an educated guess, but those look like 4500's to me - just a basic 10, probably in the 200-300w rms range.

You could either go with a small class D amp that will give you 500-600w at 1 ohm, or a good sized 2 channel that will produce similar power bridged at 4 ohms.

Here's a 2 ch that everyone seems to love - price is right:"

http://www.cadencestore.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=125&idproduct=382

Would the amp he suggested work fine for me?

BTW: I've looked everywhere on the subs to find the model number or max watts, all i see is dual 4 ohm.

should work fine i personally have never heard of the brand but thats just me looks like if your subs are the 4500's then they should handle that fine

Here's what someone else told me on a different website:
"I'm taking an educated guess, but those look like 4500's to me - just a basic 10, probably in the 200-300w rms range.

You could either go with a small class D amp that will give you 500-600w at 1 ohm, or a good sized 2 channel that will produce similar power bridged at 4 ohms.

Here's a 2 ch that everyone seems to love - price is right:"

http://www.cadencestore.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=125&idproduct=382

Would the amp he suggested work fine for me?

BTW: I've looked everywhere on the subs to find the model number or max watts, all i see is dual 4 ohm.
It'd work, but I personally would never run a 2 channel amplfier to my substage. I'd buy a mono-block 1 ohm stable amplifier to use. Be much more efficient too.

Up to you really. My honest opinion? Run a monoblock 500-700 watt amp.

Thanks for the suggestion. Are there any specific monoblock's you would recommend?
Well, your budget you say is $200?

Theirs a few that I like..but there are a ton of brands out there.

I'd go with something like a Memphis MCD 500.1 or something.

I'd suggest the Kicker KX 400.1 but it is only 2 ohm stable. And that Memphis is gonna run you more than $200, unless you search through our classifieds and might find something cheaper.

That Cadence would push em' though and its within your budget.

This might work for you
I've personally never used it, but It's the only thing I'm seeing under 1000 watts and 1 ohm stable in your price range.
That'd be perfect. Good budget amp there, I used to own a Hi Fonics 4 channel and it always was a pretty good amp.

Never used there mono block's though. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

I'd look into that Titan.

Thanks a lot guys, I went with the Titan!

I'm really new to this so, will i need to purchase an amp wiring kit for it as well? (I think crutchfield has some of those) And approximately how many feet of speaker wire? Sorry if this is a newb question

You'll need a wiring kit, but as far as speaker wire goes, if the subs are wired and you're ok with the wire then you'll need just enough to go from the box to the amp.

Go to knukonceptz.com and purchase a 4 gauge wiring kit. I believe there is one with RCAs too.

I don't recall you saying what kind of head unit you had. You'll need to look into a line output converter if you are using the factory one.

What's the difference between 4/8/12 gauge? Better signal connections or something I'm guessing?

I haven't installed my subs yet, so I'll need to purchase the speaker wire still

BTW: I have a Pioneer DEH-P4000UB head unit.

Looks like a Thunder 6000 (T6104 iirc). I had one of those in 8" back in the day. They're probably good for 300w.

Edit: Looked up specs, and its either a single 4 or 8 ohm voice coil, with 250w RMS power handling.

You'll need 500w @ 2 ohms or 4 ohms, depending on the voice coil.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.