project brewing in my head, challenging, but seem like a good way to try new concepts

Participant count
  • Participant list

PV Audio
5,000+ posts

The Vision of Sound
Indy
hey all, heres where i stand. i just got this idea while enameling my current worklog towers (pics by tomorrow night) and this is what i'm thinking. what i want to do is make a three-way design. i want two mids and a ribbon. the low end will come from a single 10" subwoofer side firing at the base of the speaker. now here's the problem. would I need to use an active xover with this? the reason why i ask is because it seems that i would need to power hhe subwoofer SEPARATE from the actual components. this way, when the current is introduced into the circuit, the mids and tweet get the power that they are allotted to, whereas if I were to just run a passive and have the power run to the sub as well, it wouldn't be as productive. so here's what i'm asking. how would I go about either doing a active/passive xover, or..building a powered subwoofer inside of the cabinet. that last part makes it sound simple, but there will be no visible amps, as the cones will be grilled. i need any helpful suggestions, and deletion of irrelevant posts is appreciated. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

dave

ima post this on diyaudio.com as well, but bump anyway //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

You don't need an active setup to make it work. You can do all passive

crossover and have it work. But it's better to drive the subwoofer active

because the crossover parts may cost alot depending on the scenario and

you can't tweak the subwoofer for best sound. Use the plate amps for the

subwoofer and install these in the cabinet in the rear, they have active crossovers

and some may have EQ's and/or other neat features. Check PE plate amps, Adire,

etc.

If you want to expand on the project and do a 4 way, that would be pretty

sweet. Your mains would be 3 way, tweeter, pure midrange, woofer. The subwoofer would be a seperate unit all by itself with built in plate amp or whatever.

This way you can move the sub around the room for best sound, the sub

always stays with you even if you change your mind and want new mains later.

Make a sonotube sub //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif they are simple.

If you want to go mad, active crossover everywhere.

i already have plenty of sub for myself, this is to replace my advents hooked up to the xbox //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

the guys over on diyaudio said to do a 2.5 way..after they explained to me exactly what that is, it seems kinda different than what i was thinking. what i want to do is to have just a speaker (definitive is profess at this) that has a powered sub that receives the signal from the amp by means of one or two binding posts. how do u suggest i do that?

so u mean to send one signal, and just split it with an adapter? could u plz like draw this out lol, i'm slow when it comes to visualizing things unless i write it out

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.