problems powering amp

ryl515
10+ year member

awesome
Kent, OH
Lately my amp had been randomly going on and off. It would start on then decide to turn off all of the sudden. Sometimes it would go back on itself as I am driving and other times it would just stay off. I decided to check all of the connections since I had a day off and everything seemed ok but to make sure, I reconnected and tightened everything. After all of this it still did the same thing, and eventually didn't even turn on anymore. Today as I was going to hook the power wire up to the amp, it accidentally touched the "remote" terminal right next to it (which was all hooked up and everything). There was a little spark, but then I hooked the power wire up after that and it worked. Everything was fine for a couple minutes then it turned off again. I have no idea why: 1.) it worked after that whole spark incident with the "remote" terminal contact, and 2.) I can't get this thing to work consistently. Any ideas? Thanks.

You checked all the connections at the amp, but have you checked all the connections on the other end of those wires? Eg, HU (remote, RCAs) and the power at the battery/fuse locations ?

what ohm you got the amp at?

i have saw that happen when the ohm load is below what the amp can handle so it goes into protection.

also make sure you have a good ground all the paint is off and it is bare metal were you are ground

You checked all the connections at the amp, but have you checked all the connections on the other end of those wires? Eg, HU (remote, RCAs) and the power at the battery/fuse locations ?
The only connections I have not checked are those hooked to the back of the HU because I wanted to come here and find out if the problem could be fixed without going through the hassel of pulling all of that out.

what ohm you got the amp at?
i have saw that happen when the ohm load is below what the amp can handle so it goes into protection.

also make sure you have a good ground all the paint is off and it is bare metal were you are ground
The amp is an Alpine MRP-M450 and I have it wired to 2 ohms.

may be the remote behind the H/U. u said it came on when u touched the power to the remote on the amp, so maybe the remote wasnt seeing any power from the HU?

may be the remote behind the H/U. u said it came on when u touched the power to the remote on the amp, so maybe the remote wasnt seeing any power from the HU?
so it looks like im gonna have to pull out the HU and check the wiring behind it?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.