price of a paint job

hookdupexpo
10+ year member

Lewes, DE
How much would a dark blue paintjob on an expedition cost me about, by the time everything was done. I live in delaware, but if anyone knows somebody that does nice work within like 4 hours of delaware, get me a number or sumthin cuz im not tryin to have it look like junk

Hey...Same deal here for my 1992 GMC Extended cab..From what I gather I can get a "new truck" paint job for about $2000....You get what you pay for,and 90% of the price is in the labor of prepping..... thats all I know. I live in L.A.

Any body shop guys out here!!!

im gettin my whole car re-painted silver for 100$ at our local chrysler/dodge facility. they have the oven and all. gotta find the hook ups peeps

I painted my own car and the materials alone cost $1000. All paints are not created equal.

A good repaint including fixing small dents or rust spots, removing (not masking) all trim pieces, block sanding the surface flat, basecoat/clear with quality materials, clear sanding and polishing will cost about $3000. A color change requiring trunk and hood underside, door jams etc would be even more.

Less than that means lower grade materials, less time in the prep, single stage paint, orange peel in the final product, no dent repairs, overspray on the trim, or some other combination of shortcuts.

Earl Schieb: "Any car, any color, one ninety-nine ninety-nine". Peels off in 2 years.

Around here there is a Macco paint place that advertises $500 paint job. Crappyist paint I've seen in my life. Starts peeling & cracking within months. As mylar said, all paints are not created equal. And a poor prep job will ruin even the nicest paint.

As said, do as much of the work yourself as you can before you take it to body shop. Fix the dents and rust yourself (if there is any), pull off the trim and pinstripes yourself, prep the body as far as possible by yourself, and that will take a ton of $$ off of the price.

Honestly, for something the size of an Expedition.....I'd expect a good quality paint job do cost no less than $3000.

I painted my own car and the materials alone cost $1000. All paints are not created equal.
A good repaint including fixing small dents or rust spots, removing (not masking) all trim pieces, block sanding the surface flat, basecoat/clear with quality materials, clear sanding and polishing will cost about $3000. A color change requiring trunk and hood underside, door jams etc would be even more.

Less than that means lower grade materials, less time in the prep, single stage paint, orange peel in the final product, no dent repairs, overspray on the trim, or some other combination of shortcuts.

Earl Schieb: "Any car, any color, one ninety-nine ninety-nine". Peels off in 2 years.

my boy paid 2 g's maybe 2500 for kit install (not molding) complete color change all PPG material, took it down to bare body, pulled dents all body filler/primer/paint/clear/labor all pnales pulled off...car completely stripped dash out even. its COMPLETELY green with blue pearlengine puleed aslo...EVERYTHING that was sotck color was painted......even UNDER the headliner/door panels/carpet.....EVERYTHING.......he got a HOOOOOOOKKKKUUUUUPPPPPPP though.

Around here there is a Macco paint place that advertises $500 paint job. Crappyist paint I've seen in my life. Starts peeling & cracking within months. As mylar said, all paints are not created equal. And a poor prep job will ruin even the nicest paint.
i worked at macco for a little bit, and its not that they do a crappy job painting, it the paint. i say pull off all of your own molding and such(because they don't), sand it and fix the dents yourself, ship it to macco. i think its around $1000 for base/clear, and then alittle more for them to color sand and buff. my 2c

I'm looking at about $1k at a place called "Electro Bake" (kinda like a maaco) its a two stage paint. Two things, think that this is the crappy paint? And they want to charge $300 for a wet sand and buff/polish after the paint job, should I get that? Thanks

base/clear should be base/clear. definatly have them wet sand & buff, unless you can do it at home. if you do it yourself no earlier then 24hrs(unless they bake it real good, if they do youll be able to sand it right away), and no later than 72 hrs. to early and you'll ruin it. to late and it'll be a b itch!

well i had my caprice painted at macco and expected the worse...well me and a bud spent a hole day preping it....rust,sanding, shaved hood ordament, trim, ect....the paint job turned out fabulous...lol....the paint job was fine untill i sold it to a friebnd that never washes it or nutin...my rims r f uckin black as we speek..that sob...btw it was the 400 paint job....it was a intergrated clearcoat system...looked dam good for the money...its all in the prep work...o and all the maccos ect r all different...some good some bad...not that ur takin it there neway but thought id put in my .02..

peace

i got mine done at econopaint, for 300...and thats their most expensive paint job. they did a shity job at prep work, b/c i can still see the purple stripes(dont ask) underneath the new silver paint...the only good thing i like about my paint is it has some pearl/sparkle in it, so after i wash my car it looks pretty nice with the sun shining...but yea, everytime i hit a bug i get a new chip.

Maaco's are independantly owned shops. They have the buying power to purchase paint at low prices, and I hear that the materials they use are not bad quality. But the prep is where it's at and most shops hire cheap inexperienced labor for that part and the only guy who gets paid decent is the painter. You'll get much different results from different shops.

The general feeling among car guys is only use quickie paint shops for a car you want to make presentable long enough to sell it.

When I painted my own car I took all the trim and bumpers and interior door panels off, fixed some rust holes, sanded the peeling areas to bare metal, primed with epoxy and painted with Glasurit bcc. A professional painter friend saw what I did and said he'd charge about 6 g's to do all that.

Came out nice...

Delta_At_Moms.JPG

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.