Prefab vs. Custom...which is better??

07ramjam
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Ive been having some sub and or amp problems and some of the advice I got was that my prefab box could be the problem.

Heres my question,whats the difference between a prefab and a custom made box?I mean, if I bought a box for my 2 12's that had 1.3 cu. airspace that was a prefab and then had a custom made with the same specs would the custom still be better and why?

Im alittle confused how a box could vary that much.

the answer to your question lies with what you want out of your subs.

for a sealed enclosure. If the prefab box is to the specs of what you subs need to function efficiently, u can add something to the inside seams and ensure its properly sealed and not leaking, and u should be just fine.

When u get into tuning boxes, exact air space or limited space, custom is the way to go (fiber glass, MDF, and even plexi).

A lot of people will just slam subs into a prefab box and then wonder why is sounds like crap.

1 too little air space

2. too much air

3. leaks

4. port tuned to wrong freq

5. bandpass (nuff said)

I have used (sealed) Q-Logic boxes before and they have sounded on par with a custom built square or rectangular box. It all depends on what u want out of your subs and how much MDF or money u have to work with.

Sealed boxes are much more forgiving of design errors, so a sealed prefab would be a better choice than a prefab ported. Prefab ported boxes are typically tuned pretty high as well.

But an acutal custom built box for the sub will out preform a prefab any day unless you happen to find a prefab that is built for that sub.

I disagree with the better sealed, most all prefabs are cut from CNC machine and well they are perfect so there are not gaps miscuts anything.

depends if i'm making it or chase007 is making it.
Its not fair to yourself to keep comparing yourself to a fabrication master of his caliber he;s taked almost 3 years of shop class.....word on the street is that Steve Brown is out and Chase007 is taking over....

Its not fair to yourself to keep comparing yourself to a fabrication master of his caliber he;s taked almost 3 years of shop class.....word on the street is that Steve Brown is out and Chase007 is taking over....
Alpine's chief designer/builder?...**** chase007 is da man!

Custom by far is the way to go. I had 2 prefabs I bought @ Circuit city for my old premier 12's & it was ok then I made a custom ported enclosure & **** that shiznit wanged like no other.

Sealed boxes are much more forgiving of design errors, so a sealed prefab would be a better choice than a prefab ported. Prefab ported boxes are typically tuned pretty high as well.
But an acutal custom built box for the sub will out preform a prefab any day unless you happen to find a prefab that is built for that sub.

I disagree with the better sealed, most all prefabs are cut from CNC machine and well they are perfect so there are not gaps miscuts anything.

This.

Pre-fab boxes aren't really built as per sub's needs. I.E. You have a 1.5 CuFt box, and your sub calls for a 1 CuFt or something. A custom box helps your driver perform at it's peak.

The problem with pre-fabs is the lack of care. I mean, I personally haven't inspected one, but, I'd assume they don't use enough glue, silicone, or put adequate pressure on the joints as they're drying. And I'm not sure if they use 3/4" MDF or not. I mean, pre-fab box companies are quantity over quality, where as most box builders on this forum and others care what their boxes look like, and how they perform.

This.

Pre-fab boxes aren't really built as per sub's needs. I.E. You have a 1.5 CuFt box, and your sub calls for a 1 CuFt or something. A custom box helps your driver perform at it's peak.

The problem with pre-fabs is the lack of care. I mean, I personally haven't inspected one, but, I'd assume they don't use enough glue, silicone, or put adequate pressure on the joints as they're drying. And I'm not sure if they use 3/4" MDF or not. I mean, pre-fab box companies are quantity over quality, where as most box builders on this forum and others care what their boxes look like, and how they perform.
fixed

My opinion is that if it's a prefab box for your particular subs and configuration then yes it works well. If not then I would say custom. Very few prefab boxes do the subs justice. I would suggest with the Type-R's that custom would probably be best.

My opinion is that if it's a prefab box for your particular subs and configuration then yes it works well. If not then I would say custom. Very few prefab boxes do the subs justice. I would suggest with the Type-R's that custom would probably be best.
Im not sure which way to go though.Should I stay sealed or go ported?I dont listen to rap at all.I like alot of the 80's type metal.The bass in this type of music seems to be a little on the weak side.However,I do like Staind,Seether and some more modern music where the bass is very dominate.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.