PPI PCX4125 amp cut out, Wiring or fried?

Participant count
  • Participant list

johnstms92
10+ year member

Hey all, So I recently installed the first stage to my setup in my 06 Acura TSX. I installed a PPI PCX4125 amp in a custom rear deck install with plenty of ventilation (made sure of this). I first had it set up with a pair of 8" subs for the rears, and playing my doors and tweeters in the front. Had it working great, when I took my 6 hour trip up to school it worked the whole way. when I went in to tweak the builtin equalizer on the amp, I turned the HP frequency adjustment a little bit, and the amp made a "squeeling" noise, and then shut off. I tried reversing what I did, but it will no longer turn on. I had the amp playing a very very low levels when I was making the adjustments (just enough to hear that it was playing). I checked all connections to the battery, to the amp, I have yet to reground the amp. I could possibly scrape off some more paint, but I felt it was pretty well grounded from the get go. The other thing I'm worried about, is the battery currently installed is a joke... I ordered a Shuriken sk-BT60 which was on the way when this issue happened. Is it possible I fried it with a crummy power or not enough juice? Anyone have similar issues with the PPI PCX series? They're monsters, and are built like tanks.. Could it just be a bad capacitor or broken connection from adjusting? Any ideas/advice? I'm all ears.

PS. I used a AOEM PAC-hon20 adapter to keep my stock headunit. I also double checked those connections, but perhaps the adapter went bad? I still have power to the stock amp for my rears so I'm assuming the adapter is not the issue here.. (also checked the remote wire)

A total of six. I have an Acura TSX. What I did was ran speaker cable up to the stock HU amp and and tapped into the door speaker wires (rather than rewiring to the doors) the Front door mids and tweeters are connected to the front 2 channels HP'd, and the 8" subs were connected to the rears channels LP'd around 150. Never played at very loud volumes in this setup. and like I said, the frightening part was the high pitched "squeal" or "beep" when I just tried adjusting the LP xover for the rear channels. and then all just shut off. Was working fine before that.

Possibly damaged outputs on the ppi. If yr factory system is running the Bose amp the Hon-20 is not compatible, as the Hon-20 is designed to interface only with the factory head unit and wiring. Did u isolate the wires going to the front speakers from the factory system? And then join the wires from the speakers back to the ppi amp? (a) I would have run 2 sets of speaker cables to each kick panel, or h/u. (b) find the speaker wire and cut it. © the side running to the mids/tweets, door side, connect to one speaker wire, back to the output on the amp. (d) the other wire, car side connect to the other speaker wire and connect to hi level input on amp. (e) ensure gains on amp are turned all the way down, before turning system on. Are the mids and tweeters component or full range? If components what crossovers are u using? Hope that helps in some way

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.