Ppi 355cs

ejschultz
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Is anyone on here running these? I picked up a LNIB, never installed set from my buddy who purchased them brand new. The tweeters seem to have a raspy sound at certain frequencies. I know they're not clipping because the passive crossover has a solid state relay to prevent clipping the tweeters. If the tweeter clips, it shuts off until the solid state relay resets. They're ferro fluid cooled tweeters and I'm quite familiar with those. I had a set of Focal Polyglass comps that had ferro fluid cooled tweeters. They're raspy until the ferro fluid warms up. These seem to stay raspy even after a longer listening session. It's only noticeable with certain types of music though. I notice it mostly during jazz, usually during a sax solo or sometimes with a piano solo that's in the upper registers of the piano. I'm sure a good jazz clarinet would also cause this, but I haven't tried anything with that yet. I have the Focal CDs and I'm going to run a lot of that in the Jeep to see if I can recreate the issue with any of that. I'm definitely going to try some of the frequency sweeps and test tones to see. Does anyone here know why they could be doing this? Is this a normal characteristic of these speakers? Thanks in advance.

They're incredible sounding speakers, but with certain frequencies and certain "voices" the tweeters seem a little raspy. I've only been running them for about a week so I guess there could be a little more breaking in that needs to occur before they'll be at their peak performance. Let me know what you think when you get them installed.

Bump for any help, please. I'm going to give them another 2 weeks to fully break in. That'll be about a month of daily playing. If the issue persists, I'm going to swap them out, funds pending. At that point, I'll have some PPIs for sale.

Actually, I'm not overly impressed with the midbass on them. They have very good high midbass, probably some of the best I've heard, but the lower midbass *****. I am comparing them to the PRS comps I have in my car though. I guess that's not too fair of a comparison. I'm more worried about the tweeters though.

They sound pretty good.. I got a set of the 6 1/2" when they were the forum boner and for the price I paid I was happy..

Ended up with a set of NOS 6 1/2" Kicker impulse comps and I think I like the kickers better.. they sound **** good for being kickers entry level but they did make some nice gear back back then, these are from 1999-2000

Well, FML. I just ordered a set of Pioneer TS-D1720C comps. I originally had the Premier TS-D520C comps in there. I loved them till I stabbed one with a screwdriver and completely f*cked the surround. They had incredible midb*** for a 5.25. The 1720s are identical, just a 6.75" and not Premier. I guess Premier doesn't matter when you order from Onlinecarstereo anyway because you don't get any warranty from Pioneer at that point. I wish I could just be happy with a set of speakers...

I have them and really like them. Cannot say that I have noticed any raspy sounds coming from the tweet. I would give them a little more break in time before ditching them completely. How much power are you running to them?

I've got a Kicker 200.2 on them. That's 70 WRMS x 2 @ 4 ohms and 14.4 volts. I don't have the gain turned up anywhere near even the halfway point and I don't turn up the volume past 27 or 28. On the Alpine 35 is max. Also, they're turned down in the crossovers on my 9855. I'm definitely not overpowering or clipping them. There's nothing wrong with the speakers; it's a characteristic of the tweeters. For 99% of music, you can't hear it. I listen to jazz occasionally and that's the only time I can hear it. I'm sure with some classical it would be evident as well, but I don't listen to classical on a regular basis.

Well, the PPIs are out and they're for sale. Watch for an offical FS thread for them. I don't have any pics yet so I'm not posting one as of yet. I will try and get one up tonight or possibly tomorrow morning for them. If you feel daring, make me an offer on them and I might just take you up on it.

I don't have the gain turned up anywhere near even the halfway point and I don't turn up the volume past 27 or 28. On the Alpine 35 is max. Also, they're turned down in the crossovers on my 9855. I'm definitely not overpowering or clipping them.Neodymium Magnets

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, if you want a set of 5.25s as well, mine are for sale. Check out my FS thread in the classified section. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif There's a ton of stuff for sale in there.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...