powering 6.5 components off of 40rms?

Bow94z
10+ year member

PA
I have a 1999 Nissan Maxima, going to be tearing my stock bose system out

What im going to be puttin in is Alpine cda9811 H/u, 2 12" Sony Xplod subs w/ a 300W Kenwood.

I already have a Pioneer GM-4300F amp basically a 40x4.

Im looking at Components and I think i wanna go with the Eclipse SC6500 components up front that are 75 watts rms. Question is, am i pissin up a rope pushin 40 watts to this component set?

i would then like to put the Eclipse Se6500 3way coax speakers for the rear deck.

What do you think?

Thanks guys, I look forward to this board:cool:

I kno the Xplods do ****, i got them free from work and had them in my last car. Whatever i save the money for my Z28 so thats why im goin "cheap" with my dd. otheriwse i'd get nicer subs.

Anyways what im asking is, Are these components gonna sound any good with 40watts?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

I kno the Xplods do ****, i got them free from work and had them in my last car. Whatever i save the money for my Z28 so thats why im goin "cheap" with my dd. otheriwse i'd get nicer subs.
Anyways what im asking is, Are these components gonna sound any good with 40watts?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif
Yes they should sound good off of 40 watts. Obviously, you are not going to be getting full potential out of them since they can handle up to a rated 75 watts rms. I'm sure they will be loud enough to hear over your xplodez. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

bridge the pioneer to 100x2 and you're set.
I thought about that aswell, but i wanted to power the rear SE6500 speakers aswell.

i guess im just being cheap and dont want to buy another amp when i have this gm-4300F sittin around

I'll try it out see how it works

bridge the pioneer to 100x2 and you're set.
I woudl do this for sure if you don't buy the rear speakers.

If you buy the rears then yeah it'll sound fine. That extra bit of juice will give your speakers the proper amount of response for them to get moving. So do it and enjoy it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

now my crossovers have jumpers on it i noticed, they are at defaulted in the middle i can either go +3db or -3db shouldi leave at default of 0 i believe? what does this change

now my crossovers have jumpers on it i noticed, they are at defaulted in the middle i can either go +3db or -3db shouldi leave at default of 0 i believe? what does this change
That changes the level of the tweeter. The basic rule is the further the tweeter is from you or the mid the higher you go....but it all depends on sound and thats up to you. As far as you speakers you have two options, either get more efficient speakers, like Blaupunkts or some othe comps with lower power handling or bridge the amp and run the back speakers off the head unit. If you run the fronts off 40 watts the tendency is to turn up the gain and what you really want is headroom(more power than the speaker is rated for).....Good Luck

I ran Eclipse SC8362s which need about 100 watts off of 35, then 75, then 60 and also at one point ran 80 watt front coaxial speakers off the 35 watt amp. Never had a problem. It's all about whether it's gonna give you the loudness level you need to appreciate the clarity and detail of the music without playing funny tricks with the gain or turning the volume up past where your head unit still puts out a clear signal and your amp puts out clean power. A speaker's RMS rating isn't really an absolute indication of what it needs or what it can handle under normal listening conditions, but rather how strong of a flat test tone it can handle continuously without catching fire. It's a general reference point to determine how much abuse it can handle. I wouldn't underpower even the most sensitive speaker by more than half but I would consider overpowering a really good high end one by 100 or 150%.

BTW powering rears off the HU is a good idea. If you get everything wired in and don't like how it sounds Id do this and give yourself an easy doubling of power to your front stage without buying another amp. Im now running 140 watts on a bridged 4 channel to my 125 watt Hertz HSKs, which are actually more sensitive than the speakers I used to run underpowered. The deck runs my Infinity Reference rears. I now rarely have to go above 24 or 25 on the Head unit whereas before with some music I had to be close to 29 or 30 to get sufficient loudness. I figured why run so much power to rear speakers if I always ended up trying to attenuate them to the point that their presence wasn't so obvious to me anyway.

I am now a firm believer that in most SQ applications amplifier power is wasted on rear speakers. Doesn't mean I don't like rear fill, but I don't think it needs to be high dollar and I don't believe amplifier power should be wasted on it that could be better used for the front stage.

Are you even able to clearly explain why powering the rear speakers with an amp is so important to you?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.