Potential box design for an XFL 15"

Participant count
  • Participant list

RSDXzec
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Australia
I currently have 3 Soundstream Picasso 12"s on a box I built myself a year ago (5.5cf 32hz 52sqin port) and have been told by many my port area is ridiculously small which I agree with. Rather than just build a new box for them I've decided to upgrade to an XFL 15". My current thoughts now are 4 cubes tuned between 30-32hz with 64 square inches of port.

What I don't like about my current setup is that the subs face the back and are pretty much on display as it's a hatchback. So I'm hoping to go with a downfiring setup, but while I'm at it go with a horn type design. I've done calculations to see if the sub is suitable for a downfiring setup and with such a stiff suspension it's fine. This is a general idea of what I'd like to do.

2nuueye.png

Would this be very hard to do? I'm hoping to have around 4" breathing space for the port at the minimum then go increasing in size. I'm really just after thoughts on this design and any tips I should take into account for example the angle of the horn coming up. Which btw the larger end will be facing the driver so the port exit will be at the far back of the car.

Cheers.

Anyone got any tips for this design?

Like how tuning may be affected by doing this... I'd need a horn decent angle not to...

Key word correctly. It would be a PITA
so? would be a great learning experience. and loads of potential with a horn design. they can play a very wide bandwidth play it very flat. also, they can be very loud because they are so efficient.

so? would be a great learning experience. and loads of potential with a horn design. they can play a very wide bandwidth play it very flat. also, they can be very loud because they are so efficient.
If he's up for all the work, by all means he can go for it. The advantages over a 4th order aren't worth the trouble IMO, but that's just me.

A 4th order would be much easier to design and be very loud.
Whats a good way to design one? I'm willing to make the box bigger if it's 4th order because getting the sub out of the box would be a PITA (one of my goals here is to hide the sub so that works out great).

I've tried on winisd but I'm not getting a great response from it...

also wouldn't this be better in a 6th order? since it's made for ported I figured having a port in the rear chamber would make it feel at home.

I've also read since the suspension on these is so stiff they're really bad for bandpass right out of the box so i'd give it some "break in" time free air to loosen up the suspension before i do it.

Don't tapped horn designs require a lot of space?

Any reason you didn't do the port like this?

Don't know if it would make a difference, but my thought would be that air would flow a little easier without that 90* bend. Just a thought, I could be completely wrong here, lol.

One idea is making just a normal upfiring ported enclosure with a false wall. Get some acoustically transparent material and go to town. Would keep the sub hidden and also be much easier to build. Would look pretty nice to if you put the time in.

Just a thought.

Anyone done a xfl in a 4th or horn?

Any reason you didn't do the port like this?

Don't know if it would make a difference, but my thought would be that air would flow a little easier without that 90* bend. Just a thought, I could be completely wrong here, lol.
You are correct, I just thought it would be a pain to cut more wood on angles lol, but after this discussion I don't think I'll be going with that design.

One idea is making just a normal upfiring ported enclosure with a false wall. Get some acoustically transparent material and go to town. Would keep the sub hidden and also be much easier to build. Would look pretty nice to if you put the time in.
Just a thought.

Anyone done a xfl in a 4th or horn?
That is an awesome idea, just need to figure out where to get some and if I can get the same colour as the rest of the cars carpet (kindof a light brown)

I'm really looking forward to further suggestions on 4th or 6th order designs though because this thread has seriously got me started looking at those type of designs... I wouldn't mind having a box with 2 wooden holes facing up...

You could always down fire the sub with the port firing back if you absolutely had to.
Problem with that is both space and port breathing space, I don't have a lot of room to work with.

Thanks to suggestions I'm keen on both the bandpass designs and the acoustically transparent material as a last resort or maybe as an addition to it to even maybe hide the ports lol. I really like the hidden + security factor of the bandpass design. I only show a few good mates what I have in my boot //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif even though currently it's only 3 soundstream 12"s which aren't worth much lol.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.