Ported box for single JL 12 w3v3

Participant count
  • Participants list

stir fry

CarAudio.com Newbie
Looking to get a little more from my sub than my current sealed box is providing. My amp does not have a subsonic filter. Amp and sub are both rated for 500w rms. JL recommends 1.75 cf @ 30hz. I'm in a large sedan, so even though I'm chasing lows, I'd still like a decent amount of volume inside the cabin. I mainly listen to rap.

I found a couple prefab boxes online and wanted to get some opinions

This one is built to manufacturer specs and I'm thinking maybe pairing it with a 20hz FMOD filter? Seems to be the most obvious choice

They also have their slapbox model tuned to 32hz. I assume it's a little louder, but am not sure how to go about ssf'ing it

This ebay one looks the nicest and I can have it custom tuned

Sound Ordnance also makes a couple vented boxes, but they're either a hair too small or too big (1.6cf and 1.83cf) . Both tuned @ 34hz, my favorite design as far as trunk space goes, and priced at almost half of what the other boxes are, which are definite pluses.

I'm also not opposed to having a custom one built

Last edited:
Thanks. What's your opinion on adding an inline subsonic filter to these boxes?
most rap songs dont go below 28hz so it doesnt really matter if you have one or not because nothing out there has 22hz and under material which is where your subsonic filter should be on paper, real world, absolutely doesn't matter unless you listen to rebassed chopped and screwed musik thats like pure 17hz test tones.

Is there much of an appreciable difference between 30 and 32hz? The first box posted is built to OE specs and tuned at JL's recommended 30hz. It's $40 cheaper and would arrive by friday, whereas the second one is tuned to 32hz, and is quoted as saying there's a two week lead time to be built. Is it worth the price and wait for a slightly higher tune or no? Going with the 30hz seems like a slightly safer bet since I don't have a ssf, but will it be at the expense of a noticeable amount of volume and clarity? I notice that with my current sealed box, I seem to find myself looking more for lower extension rather than outright volume if that means anything. I'm also used to a fairly tight sounding bass, so I'd rather lean towards it being more accurately reproduced than boomy. With my limited understanding, it seems as though the 30 tuned box would suit my desires best, or am I just being cheap and impulsive?

Last edited:
You wont need a ssf with that amount of volume, tune and power you are using. You're only pushing the sub to half its potential at best. You should consider doubling the amp power to 1krms and custom build a box or find a local cabinet builder that can build a design you give them.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.