Port Painting tips?

Participant count
  • Participant list

throatrattling
10+ year member

Canadian Guy
Toronto
Did my first box build this past weekend and painting the port proved to be an obstacle //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/uhoh.gif.c07307dd22ee7e63e22fc8e9c614d1fd.gif

Just wondering what the best method is.. I originally painted the pieces ahead of time. Taped off, 2 light coats of primer, and 4/5 coats of paint. However, after applying glue, and sealing the joints it's really hard to get in and sand and apply another few coats once it's all assembled to get a nice finish. Just wondering if you guys have any tips.. thanks in advance. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/respekt.gif.b162d148236010609fe523122efe3729.gif

if ur going to an even look sand down first with like 300 grit.....u can primer if u want it will help alot

if not just start with a small light even coat and let it sit for a good ten minutes then do another coat let that sit for ten also to atleast let it soak in...

then from 6 inches away go from side to side spraying in coats always let a coat dry fully before u go to the next one and dont go heavy or else it will start to run or u will get paint blotches

edit: u already did all that hahaha

and u should have finished painting before u put it all together hahaha

Sanding bare mdf does nothing, you need filler primer or some other surface to fill in the mdf before painting. I'm guessing you have a skinny slot port? I'd just spray as far back as possible, chances are you won't see much unless at eye level.

Sanding bare mdf does nothing, you need filler primer or some other surface to fill in the mdf before painting. I'm guessing you have a skinny slot port? I'd just spray as far back as possible, chances are you won't see much unless at eye level.
yup //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

gotta hit it with filler primer before hand. no such thing as to much primer either guys.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.