Port or no port, not whats better more should I bother.

Participant count
  • Participant list

sylum

Oh
So i'll lay out what im dealing with before I ask my questions. I have a Kicker L7 15 in a regular cab Ranger, inverted in a box with around 2.25 cubic foot, so im building a new box to give it a bit more volume to play with. Right now the box im building is sitting around 4.29 if im using these online calculators right. Now i've spent a few hours trying to figure out port tuning as such and frankly its all gibberish to me and some just doesn't make sense to me.So here I am, hoping someone here will know the answers or be able to point me in the right direction. I also hope im asking in the right section.

One question is should I bother with a port seeing as I'll only have around 4 cubic feet after im done adding a port and recessing the sub a little into the box? Or should I just leave it sealed. I mean with just 2.25 cubes it already pounds hard and hits low lows decently, but I know from past experience it being in a box with 3.5 cubes it hit lows with a lot more oomph. And all the info I dig up basically says 6 cubic foot or nothing for a ported box with an L7 15.

My second question is more of a question of why a round port can be sooooo much shorter then a slot for the tuning point i'm looking at. Like just an example if i went with a 16x3in port aimed at 32hz it needs to be 25in long, but if i went with a 4in diameter pipe it only has to be 5in long. It just makes no sense to me. Does it have to do with efficiency of air movement or something?

Yes usually round ports are more efficient

So generally you can use less port area

And just as an example you have a 4" port which is about 12 square in of port vs a slot port that is 48 square in.

A rule of thumb is slot port 10-16 square inches per cubic foot

Round port 8-12 square inches per cubic foot

If your box is 4cf you would want in the area of 40"-64"

Or for round you could do 2 4" ports or 1 6"

I would go with 1 6" and stay above 4cf

Tune around 32-34hz

You will be happy with it

The xplicit app is for iPhone too
oh they finally got it for Iphone now? I remember they didnt have it last year.

Or get bass box pro 6Or winisd
Bass box pro is not free and winisd does not account in port displacements, common port walls or any other displacements required in the actual box calculations, its mainly just graphing tool rather than actual design.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will check some of them out for sure. Thanks for all the help. I wont be the last to admit that past building square/rectangle boxes, im a little out of my depth with this build. But I wanna give my sub a little more breathing room and correct some issues with the box its in that i just threw together in an hour with some plywood i had laying around. It is funny watching the box flex though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.