Port inside or out?

Savant
10+ year member

Duke of DOH!
Basically...

I would like to know if the port has to be contained inside the box or not.. so, if I have a box that is say, 1.8 cubes and the port calls for a 4" that is 30" long, can that 30" be outside the box? I mean, isn't the prevailing idea behind the port to provide a column of air that has to be moved so that it shouldn't matter where that column is as long as it's sealed to the box in some manner?

I ask because, I'd like to have a slightly smaller box but have the same tuning freq.. to do that, I need a much longer port.. I don't mind getting some semi-flexable material (or bending rigid stuff) to snake around the bed of the truck, but to get that port to fit inside the box would mean a much bigger box to account for the after displacement volume..

does that make any sense??

TIA guys..

Yes it is possible I mean of you want proof then if you know alot about bookshelf home stereo systems then look at the Gigatube system by umm.....Dam* I cant remember but anyway it has ports that come out the back of the sub enclosure and run over the top of the box and exit the front right above the tweets midrange. So yes i'm sure it would work, also if you have to have a port so long and it is round why dont you make a slot port instead. They work just as good and from what i've seen they dont have to be nearly as long as round ports.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif Hope that helps.

Originally posted by snova031 I think it can be done...I know I saw pics of an RFL with the ports coming out on either side, so I think it is possible...
yea thats the pic that i always see when i think of ports going out side of the box... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Originally posted by Savant *bump*

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
yes, port tubes that are outside the box will give more volume, and take up less surface area... very expensive, professional builders, they have had like 4 horrid looking ports that protude outside of the box, but they sound wonderful... just make sure you've got good clearance for it,..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.