Poorly designed 4th order

And if you are wondering why I had so much rise, it was a 5:1 4th with 113in^2 of port area, it was ridiculously efficient.
Didn't know this would become an argument lmao.

yes overall the box is way too large I would have went with something like 1:1.5 basically 4 sealed and 6 cubes ported tuned around 60hz should do nice but I am not a 4th order king just done a ton of reading and from my understanding the larger the ratio the larger and faster the roll off is basically becoming a 1 note wonder now a ported box will get the job done but if ya want something different a 4th order can be real nice and impressive. you also have to be real careful on the port area it cant be real large.

yes overall the box is way too large I would have went with something like 1:1.5 basically 4 sealed and 6 cubes ported tuned around 60hz should do nice but I am not a 4th order king just done a ton of reading and from my understanding the larger the ratio the larger and faster the roll off is basically becoming a 1 note wonder now a ported box will get the job done but if ya want something different a 4th order can be real nice and impressive. you also have to be real careful on the port area it cant be real large.
what kind of port area should i shoot for? im still undecided if i wanna go with a 4th or ported for my next box build

what kind of port area should i shoot for? im still undecided if i wanna go with a 4th or ported for my next box build
You wont know until you build it. I would build a sealed box with a qtc of .707, find the resonance, do a 1:3 ratio ratio and use 1/2 cone area amount of port area tuned to the sealed resonance and just see how it sounds. To peaky, shrink the front, doesnt play low enough, tune the port lower, isnt loud enough, up the port area, subs unload to easy, make a loading wall. Once boxes are in the car its all testing, why do you think all the big 4th order builds have multiple test vids with no port and differnt ports? Its all about testing. Just make it to where the front can be totally changed and just goof with it.

Thats what it is all about lol

1. Get your sealed Fc around 45-55 (depending on goals)

2. Tune to or around Fc

3. 2:1 or higher ratio for output, 1.5ish or less if you don't care if you lose a dB or two

40Hz is just too low for a 4th order, plus your ratio was too small. If you don't know what you're doing, a ported box is a lot easier to get right

1. Get your sealed Fc around 45-55 (depending on goals)2. Tune to or around Fc

3. 2:1 or higher ratio for output, 1.5ish or less if you don't care if you lose a dB or two

40Hz is just too low for a 4th order, plus your ratio was too small. If you don't know what you're doing, a ported box is a lot easier to get right
Well i was thinking about just going with a ported box. I've mad a few designs can you tell me if any of these would be a good design for a ported box?

-I'm not sure how good down-fire boxes work so this is just a concept for a box. is there any special things that a down-fire box needs different than a ported?

View attachment 26548276View attachment 26548277View attachment 26548280

-This is a ported box i was thinking about. The angled piece on the top is just a concept of an amp rack with plexi glass and the holes in the back are for cooling fans.

View attachment 26548281View attachment 26548282View attachment 26548283

yeah? so are you trying to say that my woofers were actually getting 4kw? No, they were not. I would think that you of all people would understand this.
I understand, but your claim is a bit misleading and you know it.
more help less argue please

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.