Poor SQ/Midbass from new Pioneer C720PRS Components

Participant count
  • Participant list
I've never heard a difference. Even when critical listening. The only difference is power. Headroom. But I've never had a ****** amp either.

I've noticed way more difference with tweeter positioning.
duh you never had a lower end amp. lets trade amps, my ppi for your DD and test it for a day and see what happens. we even PM'd eachother back then that you heard slight differences in the upper frequencies bro.... back in your DDTC days.

duh you never had a lower end amp. lets trade amps, my ppi for your DD and test it for a day and see what happens. we even PM'd eachother back then that you heard slight differences in the upper frequencies bro.... back in your DDTC days.
I know. But the more I've been messing with the extensive tuning the more I've learnt how power can affect reflections which affect high frequencies.

watts is definitely not watts and wattage is more marketing mumbo jumbo then actual build quality and amplifier design. Anyone who's had multiple different amps from low end to high end will easily hear the difference an power numbers dont matter anywhere as much when it comes to sound quality, detail from an amp. This is given that the install and tune is perfect with each. There's tiers of perfection you can always climb when your weakest link in the system is your 4 channel amp. Most average joes and spl guys have no idea and just recognize clean and clear so all they care about is watts and how loud they get. However when you actually have a affinity to sound quality, you'll notice every difference, its a curse. A curse that makes you spend countless hours swapping back and forth between amps in the same setup and being amazed that there's a big difference in the actual sound.
I have used multiple amps in my Dodge. I went from a RF T-600-4 to a Zuki Eleet 4 to a MB Quart DSC 4125. All with the same 720PRS comp set. The difference in SQ via the amp was negligible.

IMHO there is no big difference in sound as long as the amps are putting out about the same unclipped power. Like I said, I'm in the "watts is watts" category and I'm not talking about advertised wattage I'm talking about what the amp actually puts out.

I have used multiple amps in my Dodge. I went from a RF T-600-4 to a Zuki Eleet 4 to a MB Quart DSC 4125. All with the same 720PRS comp set. The difference in SQ via the amp was negligible.
IMHO there is no big difference in sound as long as the amps are putting out about the same unclipped power. Like I said, I'm in the "watts is watts" category and I'm not talking about advertised wattage I'm talking about what the amp actually puts out.
so how do you explain why my JL 6600 amp has a lot more midbass and upper end sparkle but only puts out 75ish watts vs the ppi which is closer to 140 watts from a direct swap as in with the first swaps it was flat EQ just to see the difference, then the next swaps were done fully time aligned, crossover matched, straight up SQ tuned, the ppi never could even get close to how the JL sounded.

PPI was crazy amounts louder in the midrange but lacked top end detail and midbass impact no matter how much you try to boost. However the JL, you'd actually have to attenuate the midbass.

Even my buddy's setup he heard huge differences swapping straight from a ppi 600.2 to a soundqubed 90.4(unbridged) everything SQ wise improved.

All your amp choices were class A/B and not that bad on amp tier list. Try a cheaper class D amp and you'll be begging to come back to those amps. There's a certain threshold of quality you want to go over with amps.

These cheap class D amps put out power as passmag and a lot of other people have clamped and dyno'd but the sound is just hollow.

Even DereckBigDwiz who amp dyno'd a rockvill 2 channel making 600 watts said that even though it puts out a lot of power, the SQ is not there in a real setting vs other amps. Again i stand by not every watt is created equal, not one bit. How the amp amplifys and filters the signal is why higher end companies have R&D teams dedicated to work on those aspects vs cheaper companies just making things put out loads of power on the cheap.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.