Pontiac G8 Audio Upgrade

bobmG8
10+ year member

I am currently planning my Pontiac G8 Audio Upgrade. Door speakers with two sets of Polk Audio db651s. I have purchased an MTX re-Q5 processor. The Alpine 3553 4 x 35 will power the door speakers and the PPI PC275 2 x 75 will power the new Bazooka BT6024DVC passive sub which has a dual voice coil. I am mounting the amps and processor to the underside of the rear deck in the trunk. Including the processor and sub all I needed to purchase was some speaker wire, 3 short RCA cables, shrink tubing, screws and terminals all for around $300.00. I will include pictures during the install process.

Last edited by a moderator:
I removed the details for the texting generation. My first car stereo installation was back in 1974, the car was a rusted out Chevy Vega that I bought for $300.00, the car not the sound system. I will blame the book on my advanced years.

Amp install looks good but amps mounted upside down are a no no. There is a reason manufacturers put the heatsink on the top of the amp as opposed to the bottom. Sure plenty of people have done it but having repaired quite a few amps I can already see the capacitors and output/power supply devices inside just baking away from the heat trapped inside the amp.

I asked about mounting my amps upside down in the Amplifier forum and I was treated like an idiot for asking. BigAudioFanatic wrote: Your amps will be fine, you might have heat travel in the wrong direction inside them because they are upside down but no reason why you can not. I also belong to g8board.com and a guy mounted his amps in the same location so I asked him if he had any heat issues down in Miami and he said his amps were working just fine. If there is an issue with this set up I will remount them in a different location. Thanks for the input.

Thread: Mounting Amps Upside Down??

I know most people won't take issue with how you mounted them but I've just seen too many amps with signs of heat related stress( baked caps,melted solder,etc) to feel good about mounting them upside down. I'll probably get flamed for my opinion as well.

Well I finally finished the work in the trunk on this sound system. All I have left is to splice into the radio speaker wires.

MTX re-Q5 Processsor

Alpine 3553 4 channel Amp

PPI PC275 2 channel Amp

Bazooka 6.5" dual voice coil passive sub

(4) Polk db651s in the doors

4 Ohm 10 Watt resistor for the front/center speaker

Monster RCA patch cables

picture.php

I finally finished my install, and the MTX re-Q5 bass restoration device worked very well. Actually amazing on how well it interfaced with my base G8 radio. The 6.5" DVC passive tube provides just enough tight bass to complament my Polk speakers to produce a rich sound. I did remove the stock tweeters in corners of the dash which helped. Overall this is a huge impovement over my stock system.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.