Polk Audio

aleborjas
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Miami, FL
hi, i bought a pair of 6x9 DB series (i haven't try them because my car is not build is in the paint shop) and now i need 2 pair more 6.5 one DB or MOMO? coaxial and one DB component system but some friend told me not to get Polk because they have problems with the highs when you turn up the volume and i don't want that, is that true? i love speaker with good highs at any volume level. i have 300.4 JL amp for all that wright now next I'm going to get a 2 channel just for the 6x9, I like to crank it way up every now

i had the polk momo 6.5" components. Good speaker. Momo's are DEFINITELY better then the db's, but you can get better speakers from another company for the price range.

Don't know about any issue with highs...my momo's could get painfully loud just fine...

I have the momo's for front stage. They are wonderful speakers. Believe me, there is no problem with the highs. They are as smooth as a baby's bottom. LOL! The db's are nice, but the momo's are much better. Get a set and enoy the ride.

I've just traded my Polk db 6500's for Crystals. The highs on the Polks were harsh at high volume compared to the Crystals (and lesser so at lower volume). I haven't heard the momos though people say they are alot better than the db's.

Your friend smokes crack. Polk makes exceptional speakers with great highs and tight accurate mid bass. Even the DB series being the most low end product they make is a great buy.

Ps when people say the highs become harsh at high levels they are probably at distortion levels which it shouldnt be palyed at anyways. Get a nice amp around the RMS wattage, tune it proporly and dont exceed your set volume. mine for example is 50 but i play at 45 to be safe. anyways basically what im saying is peopel say products sound harsh at high volumes becuase they are distorting. if you want ti loud you need to pay more and get a better product.

I have the MMC 6500's (6.5 comp's MOMO series) in front and the MMC 690 ( 6x9's MOMO again) at the back...awesome speakers for the price...I'm in India and Polk sells at almost the same price as they sell in the US...which is rare...usually they are way more expensive here.

Btw...i read a review about their SR6500...some really good stuff...this will be my next set...whenever I can afford them. See link below...

http://www.caraudiomag.com/testreports/0511cae_polk_audio_sr6500_car_speakers/

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.