Please recommend some basic HU for my 2005 Galant GTS.

Greetings just joined. Since my 30 minute highway commute is 4 days a week, am looking to upgrade the OEM unit to something with modern capabilities. The OEM setup is an Infinity 6-CD changer with basic rear/front speakers and steering wheel controls. I'll be using the Metra 99-7012 Dash Kit.

Anyway, I want to play my music off some type of SD card (the exact form factor does not matter). Front mounted slot and highest possible capacity is my first requirement. Next up I'd like the HU to be able to play some type of compressed lossless format like flac or Ogg Vorbis. And that's basically my requirements. Any other features like Navigation, CD/DVD or texts showing on screen would be a bonus, and will consider both single/double DIN. Budget is $200.

I've done searches, but there's A LOT of stuff out there and just haven't stumbled on something that satisfies these specs. Not looking to have a studio quality HU, just something that's does the job while driving to my job. So your suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
"Anyway, I want to play my music off some type of SD card (the exact form factor does not matter)."

Does it have to be some type of SD card, or can it be something like a usb flash drive?

Bestbuy has the Kenwood DPX702BH on sale. It should do everything you need. The regular price is $200, but I think its marked down to $120 or $130. It does support FLAC, but unless you get a fairly high resolution system, I don't think you'll be able to hear any difference between Redbook quality and 320kbps. With this HU, you can access music on your smart phone. I have a Samsung phone with a 64g micro SC card in it, along with other types of storage like usb sticks.

Greetings just joined. Since my 30 minute highway commute is 4 days a week, am looking to upgrade the OEM unit to something with modern capabilities. The OEM setup is an Infinity 6-CD changer with basic rear/front speakers and steering wheel controls. I'll be using the Metra 99-7012 Dash Kit.
Anyway, I want to play my music off some type of SD card (the exact form factor does not matter). Front mounted slot and highest possible capacity is my first requirement. Next up I'd like the HU to be able to play some type of compressed lossless format like flac or Ogg Vorbis. And that's basically my requirements. Any other features like Navigation, CD/DVD or texts showing on screen would be a bonus, and will consider both single/double DIN. Budget is $200.

I've done searches, but there's A LOT of stuff out there and just haven't stumbled on something that satisfies these specs. Not looking to have a studio quality HU, just something that's does the job while driving to my job. So your suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

just put in extra cash for a pioneer 80 prs and you'll be beyond happy. You arent gonna get anything navigational under 400 dollars.

If you dont have the cash, save up. The worst mistake is to cheap out on the head unit especially when its only 50 dollars more.

why the 80 prs? The sound quality is just better off the bat along with being able to fully tune for amazing sounding music. Whats the use of having flac files when you have a sh*tty head unit that cant tune for good sound? Flac with a poorly tuned setup with a cheap head unit will lose out to a well tuned setup with a good head unit using horribly compressed 192kbps hands down flat out.

Flac files doesnt magically account for vehicle acoustics, driver deficiencies, driver distances, or overall peaks in the sound spectrum. Sound processing does.

Now when you have BOTH, you are bound to have a GREAT time.

just put in extra cash for a pioneer 80 prs and you'll be beyond happy. You arent gonna get anything navigational under 400 dollars.
If you dont have the cash, save up. The worst mistake is to cheap out on the head unit especially when its only 50 dollars more.

why the 80 prs? The sound quality is just better off the bat along with being able to fully tune for amazing sounding music. Whats the use of having flac files when you have a sh*tty head unit that cant tune for good sound? Flac with a poorly tuned setup with a cheap head unit will lose out to a well tuned setup with a good head unit using horribly compressed 192kbps hands down flat out.

Flac files doesnt magically account for vehicle acoustics, driver deficiencies, driver distances, or overall peaks in the sound spectrum. Sound processing does.

Now when you have BOTH, you are bound to have a GREAT time.
If it wasn't for that **** Pico Fuse

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

The everyone i know with a pioneer 80 prs never had any pico fuse issues. People must be really really stupid during the install to pop something like that. I basically convinced almost every competitor in so cal to get an 80 prs so thats A LOT of people. How hard is it to turn off the head unit and then swap the rcas... Even so i've done that a few times and no issues. That probably only happens if you are playing REALLY REALLY loud and hot swapping which is completely idiotic.

kenwood x301 is $119 it's far from basic has lots, lots of audio adjustments and xovers so speakers don't distort and 24 bit da convertor like some more expensive hu's.. it has usb bt and all that, love mine..

The everyone i know with a pioneer 80 prs never had any pico fuse issues. People must be really really stupid during the install to pop something like that. I basically convinced almost every competitor in so cal to get an 80 prs so thats A LOT of people. How hard is it to turn off the head unit and then swap the rcas... Even so i've done that a few times and no issues. That probably only happens if you are playing REALLY REALLY loud and hot swapping which is completely idiotic.
No other brand does this.

No other brand does this.
yes but one person brings it up and all of the sudden the brand gets smacked with an unfair label while thousands of people have zero issues with it. You are making it sound like a high probability issue when its extremely low unless its user error then you cant blame the equipment if the user is bonafide retard. Clarion has a cr@p amp guard feature, kenwood has junk screen visibility and alpine has wonky bluetooth pairing. There's a nitpick for every brand but in general everyone has properly working head units with no issue.

yes but one person brings it up and all of the sudden the brand gets smacked with an unfair label while thousands of people have zero issues with it. You are making it sound like a high probability issue when its extremely low unless its user error then you cant blame the equipment if the user is bonafide retard. Clarion has a cr@p amp guard feature, kenwood has junk screen visibility and alpine has wonky bluetooth pairing. There's a nitpick for every brand but in general everyone has properly working head units with no issue.
I would much rather have the issues then statically sound!

as said before over 30+ people locally have the unit with no issues relating to any pico fuses. How many do you personally know run an 80 prs? Or did you just dig up some old thread about pioneer head units and automatically label them that way?

Wow....what a tool. Jeff has nearly bent over for ya and you seem to be making one excuse after another to not get one of the best HU on the market right now. Then why did you come here seeking/asking for help? We're here to help each other out, as well as newcombers. If you don't like taking advice, then good day....go elsewear. We don't suggest something that we have the experience of the product. That way we can pass that info along to the next person who's looking for a new HU, or speakers or subs etc.

Wow....what a tool. Jeff has nearly bent over for ya and you seem to be making one excuse after another to not get one of the best HU on the market right now. Then why did you come here seeking/asking for help? We're here to help each other out, as well as newcombers. If you don't like taking advice, then good day....go elsewear. We don't suggest something that we have the experience of the product. That way we can pass that info along to the next person who's looking for a new HU, or speakers or subs etc.
he's not the op lol.

he's not the op lol.
Oh snap...and call me stupid. My bad.

Didn't realize someone else chimed in....

---------- Post added at 10:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 PM ----------

Gotta Clarion cz702 which isn't a bad HU. x-over settings are limited tho.

I am just stating my personal experiences. We have the right to disagree, but it doesn't mean either is wrong. They both have their validity.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.