Please Help

Participant count
  • Participant list

zeppy

Mil
So I've had a Clarion in my car for about 6 months without any problems. Recently decided to upgrade for more sound quality and purchased a refurb Kenwood KDC-X794.

Now I've hooked up about a dozen stereos throughout my 3 cars I've had and know what I'm doing. My current ride is a 2003 Mazda Protege ES, it has the sound package which came with 2 front speakers plus tweeters, 2 back door speakers, and 2 back deck speakers.

I installed the Kenwood, worked perfectly fine for my 10min drive to work. After working for 5 hours I drove to school that night and didn't have any problems. Well after my class which was 3 hours long, I start my car with my remote start which I do 90% of the time while I'm walking to the car. The stereo doesn't turn on til the key is put in. Put the key in and it loaded up to the demo screen, meaning it reset and lost all of its memory. Kind of pissed I just went along with it and drove home listening to crystal clear great sounding music. Reaching volumes as high as 25/26 which was blaring loud!

When I got home I wanted to test out some of the audio features the deck had, time alignment and crossovers ect. I had the engine turned off while doing this. Got all the settings I wanted and started to turn the music up. Once I hit the 20's (the deck goes to 30 something I think) it completely shut down and reset back to demo mode.

So I knew this had to be a power/ground issue, which is odd because I know exactly what im doing, red is ignition, yellow is constant, black is ground. Simple as can be! So while talking with tech support from where I bought it they suggested directly hooking it up to the battery. So I went out of my way and spent extra money to wire this thing up to long behold it did the exact same thing when the engine was shut off. I then redid the ground connection to the metal behind the deck instead of the wiring harness. Same thing!

My next thought was possible the ohm load was overheating the unit, which is possible because with 6 speakers I have no idea how there wired or what ohm's they are. But I was able to replicate the reset with only using the front 2 speakers.

When to Advance Auto Parts to test battery, starter, alternator. All of them checked out just fine. So I RMA'd the unit back to the place. They reported back that the deck was working fine and the only way they were able to replicate the problem was to lower the amps below 1 or something idk. All i know is I'm pissed, they are blaming this on me and I checked just about every single thing on my end.

Any ideas??

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.