Please Help!! receiver/radio replacement: '03 Buick Lesabre

2003lesabre

Hello everybody, i own a '03 Buick lesabre with door tweeters and am trying to replace my receiver/radio. I went to crutchfield.com and tried to find a radio, but it said that none were compatible with my car. I called them up and they said that the ribbon cable used for the 03' lesabre factory radio is completely different than any aftermarket cables, and that i would have to run 32 new wires from the fuse box to the new radio. This sounds like a pain in the ***!!! Has anyone heard of this problem before?? Isnt there just some adapter that i can buy that will convert the factory ribbon cable into a cable suitable for aftermarket receivers???

If i do have to run 32 new cables from the fuse box, which fuse box would i use? There are two in my car, one is under the hood by the engine, and the other is under the backseat. I have never run cable before but im assuming it just runs under the carpet...or through the firewall or something like that. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

I have seen the ribbon before. They are a Pain in the ass to deal with and so far i have yet to find an adapter cable. I just got a car with the ribbon and My plan for putting in a HU is making an adapter by taking the plug of the old HU and soldering my own wires to it. as for running new wires you will only need to run 2 wires to the fuse box (the one in the car). The first one is your constant, you can either run this to an already existing constant in the fuse box or if you have and open slot you can run a dedicated line. the other one is your ACC. you will need to figure out where you can take in to your AAC line so that you are taping it after the ignition switch. then you just need to run a ground and speaker wire.

use a multi meter.....cut the factory plug and locate your needed wires
That is harder then it sounds.... If this is the plug i am thinking of it is a hard mounter connector that is mounted to the back of the HU well. not many cutting tools can get in to that small of an area to cut the plastic to get it out.

I have seen the ribbon before. They are a Pain in the ass to deal with and so far i have yet to find an adapter cable. I just got a car with the ribbon and My plan for putting in a HU is making an adapter by taking the plug of the old HU and soldering my own wires to it. as for running new wires you will only need to run 2 wires to the fuse box (the one in the car). The first one is your constant, you can either run this to an already existing constant in the fuse box or if you have and open slot you can run a dedicated line. the other one is your ACC. you will need to figure out where you can take in to your AAC line so that you are taping it after the ignition switch. then you just need to run a ground and speaker wire.
thank you for the detailed reply, this helps a lot. Unfortunately it still sounds like just as much of a pain as i thought it would be :|. when you say that you are going to solder wires to the plug of the old HU...do you mean that you would cut the old HU cable and then solder?? soldering onto a plastic clip seems kinda risky to me.

then you just need to run a ground and speaker wire.
would i have to run the speaker wire to each individual speaker? im assuming i would but just checking. Thanks in advance for any further replies.

according to metra either the gmos 05 or the gmrc-04 should fit.
scosche says the gm14sr should work.
Wow!! if these work that would make my life 100 times easier. here are a couple of links that i found...if anyone can verify that these are in fact the right parts that i need then i cant thank you enough horsemanwill!!!!

metra gmrc-04:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_12919_Metra+Axxess+GMRC-04.html?gclid=CPXR2Kz09JsCFRghDQoduyhr9Q#

scosche gm14sr:

http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-GM14SR-Dock-n-Lock-Replacement-Interface/dp/B000JUOMK0

very cool. thank you SO much for all the replies and help, what a great forum!! thanks to all who helped and provided advice!! I will recommend this forum to all of my friends who have car questions. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.