PLEASE help. Mounting screw problem

texastoast

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

Just got a Pioneer avh-x5500bhs from ebay, along with a metra mounting kit for my car.

My problem is:

I took the mounting bracket off the factory head unit. It lines up as it should on the mounting holes for the new Pioneer.

BUT, the screws won't screw in! The hole looks completely different than the factory unit, which is also a pioneer. The factory one looks threaded, this one does not. They supposedly use the same 5mm screws... But I cannot for the life of me get this screw in there!

Anyone know what I'm supposed to do? I'm sure this is a ridiculous question haha.

Do I need to buy different screws? And if so, where could I find them locally in a smaller town?

Here are pics of the holes I'm talking about. Stock on top, new HU on bottom.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 26551559

View attachment 26551558

Everything I'm reading says it should be a 5mm x 8mm screw/bolt. I'm pretty sure that's what I have, and it's still too big. Was thinking maybe something with a pointed tip to account for the weird curvy lip on the head unit? If my 5mm bolt is too big, I'm concerned a 4mm would be too small to hold.

But my other concern is there's no threaded section like on the stock one pictured above. What am I even screwing into?

Any ideas?

you can use the screws from the radio in the packaging if not just call an audio shop and see if they have any screws for radios laying around and see if you can get some

I don't know what bolt size but that is the thread your looking at. Use the machine punched holes, one side of the hole is higher, there's only 1 thread if you over tighten them they will be damaged.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.