Please help me spend my money right this time. 10" sub

daft_soul

Ok, I am looking for ideas and suggestions on a sub. I've only had one other sub/amp combo in my car. While the first amp was quality (rockford) the sub was not. I was impatient and ran out and bought a cheap sub and I'm to embarrased to mention the company name. After a few months I ended up killing the sub because I was overpowering it.

I want my setup to last this time. So anyway this is the important information. The car this is going into is a integra 2dr. I have bought a brand new alpine mrp-m500 that I am looking at right in front of me. I would like to use this amp to its full potential running it 2-ohm for 500 watts. I am looking for a 10" sub that will be going into a homemade sealed box for the time being. Later on I may change the box setup...But for the time being it will be going into the box I made. I have $200 to spend on a sub, but would like to stay around $150 if possible.

I am not 100% sure on the kind of sound I want from the sub so I went around to some local shops and a place demoed a single JLw3v3 in a ported box. I was impressed by how clean it sounded and would like to keep that aspect. But I want a tad bit more output than what I heard from the JL. I listen to mostly edm like electro house, dubstep, booty breaks, drum & bass. I also listen to hip hop and rock. I don't have any other listening experience with current model subs besides the JL that I heard in that shop. So hopefully that will help those of you that know about them to recommend me something.

The shop was stereo in dash on north dixie.

For the midbass I have 4 of these oversized infinity 6 1/2s 2-ways all around the car and a old pioneer 8600mp. I have speakers cut off at 80hz so I have no bass! And I haven't had a sub or amp in the car for over a year, its killing me! Once I get another sub I'll bring the cutoff back up to 100hz where I had it before.

Its so tempting to just go out and buy something today since I finally have the extra money but I guess I can find a better deal online and wait for shipping. But I'll wait for some more opinions.

did you check craigslist? might find a steal on there. I'm trying to think if I remember anyone having some10's. One guy has some bnib cvr 10"s, but I don't think he wants to split them up

I would recommend focusing on getting some better midbass with a decent interior amp and preferably some 6.5 components up front. Seal/deaden/soundproof the doors. Just my .02c

He already has the mono amp. Jacob from sundown has some SI BM recones for 60 + s/h on 10's atm, i have a pair on an m500 at 4 ohm and they are pretty impressive for the price plus its a D4 so you'll get max out of the amp. There are just dozens of other quality subs out there to pick from and if your unsure what to choose just check peoples sig's and see what they run.

Just to update, I ended up getting the jl audio w3v3 10" and putting it in my sealed box. The output ended up being just fine once I actually put in in the car. In fact its to loud I normally ride around with the sub on -8 thru -10 unless I feel like bumping then I put it on 0. I can still even put it in a ported box and it'll be louder but I don't know if I want to sacrifice any of the clarity. I need some sound deadening material now.

I love how often people ask for recommendations on here and then never take the advice that's given...... it sounds like the JL is meeting your expectations though, I'm glad you're enjoying it... Also, if it is in a PROPERLY built and tuned ported enclosure you shouldn't loose any noticeable SQ.... but i definitely have to agree with the earlier post,

I would recommend focusing on getting some better midbass with a decent interior amp and preferably some 6.5 components up front. Seal/deaden/soundproof the doors. Just my .02c

I understand where everyone is coming from with the suggestions for the components, but I just couldn't see the point in wasting the money I had already spent on the 4x infinity speakers. Plus while I did say I listen to mostly edm I do still listen to rap and other music. While the components would be better at midbass, the sub would still cover those frequencies and lower. Maybe when I get some more extra spending money I can look into them.

Must of you guys giving advice already have all these full setups in your cars though. Now I know this is a stretch but...Hypothetically if someone were to break into your car today and steal just your sub amp and sub you would probably be quick to replace just that stuff. I didn't get my stuff stolen but I had no sub amp or sub. So thats what I got.

As far as the JL yeah i'm very happy with it. My integra is a smaller car so I didn't want something that was to much for the vehicle. With that being said though I let two friends hear the setup since I've installed it. I didn't tell them that there was only 1 10" and let them hear it, then got out the car and popped the trunk and they both had pretty much the same reaction...

"THATS IT!?!?" and "WHAT THE...A 10!?"

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif:D:D

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.