Please help me design an Android-integrated system

Participant count
  • Participant list

Syscrush

Canada
Hi all.

I've never really been part of the car audio scene... My brother and I built some speaker enclosures for our cars back in the 90's, and I did installs for friends and family back then, but it was all simple/budget stuff. In the 20 years since I've been mostly on motorcycles or in RX-7s that were too loud to hear the stereo anyhow, but I recently bought a car for the first time in a long time.

It's a 2011 Mazda2 GS. The stereo isn't great, but for my use it's not bad. Still, I'd like something better. My requirements are:

1. Fit in the stock dash, which means double-DIN.

2. Biggest video screen that will actually fit.

3. Back-up camera.

4. FM and XM radio.

5. Quick/easy (preferably 1-2 touch) swapping between EQ presets (basically just 1 for talk and 1 for music).

6. Retain use of my stock steering wheel controls (volume up/down, tuner up/down, mute, and mode).

7. Integration with my Moto-X phone. This phone does not have HDMI out via cable, but does have miracast.

#7 is where things get tricky, I think. Let me define what "integration" means to me:

7.1. Ability to use Google Maps or Waze via the in-dash touchscreen and/or voice commands.

7.2. Ability to listen to audio from the HU (FM, XM, or media like CD) while showing a navigation app. Ideally turn-by-turn directions from the nav app would interrupt the HU audio.

7.3. No need to root the phone or install anything that runs as administrator/superuser.

7.4. Simple startup process: I just want to get in the car and turn it on. Plugging the phone into a USB cable or cradle is OK, but I really don't want to have to go to the phone or HU to do any setup/config, or launch apps just to establish the communication.

7.5 Ability to take and place calls via voice commands at any time.

Is there any hope for making this work? I was pretty interested in the Pioneer Appradio systems, but it appears that if I go that route, I can't listen to HU audio while using the phone's NAV app. Also, when I was trying to find AR3 stuff working via miracast, I kept finding people using Appradio Unchained and Tasker to get stuff working even passably, using phones that had been rooted, and/or ARU running as superuser.

I would be open to doing an install that uses a faceless amp and an android tablet if that's my best route to getting what I want. I was thinking that maybe I could find an XM/FM tuner module that could be connected to the tablet or phone via USB and controlled from the tablet, but I haven't been able to find anything like that that works in Canada/US.

Any pointers on how to get this to work would be very much appreciated.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.