Please help me 18" question

57hemi

Texas
Ok I'm building a system for my grand cherokee this will not be a spl car. Only for demo/show just music. I listen to raggae dub step Metallica korn slip knot I want clean and loud *** overall system nothing being drowned out

I've already bought

Singer 320A alt

4/0 main wire

0g wire

DC audio 7.5k

Plans

Bit10

DC 175.4

May be rainbow 3ways in the dash

DD 6x9 2ways front doors

Really contemplating some 8" midrange drivers (not the subwoofers) in rear doors with some tweets

I found a business that builds spl cars building my box. I was planning on buying 2 dc lvl XL 12's and he said I would be happier with either a lvl 6 18 or a crossfire v2 18 or a DD9918. I've never heard a 15 much less an 18. He assures me that I'll still have my tight bass for my metal, but I wanted more input from others

Wow 109 visitors and no answer
My 2 cents. You should be considering 4 10's, or possibly 4 12's if you don't mind using your entire cargo area and coming a bit above the window line. There simply isn't a pair of subs out there that you won't break with 7500W, and definitely not a single sub that'll hang with that at full tilt for more than 30 seconds without melting.

In short, the sound of a high quality 18" woofer IN THE RIGHT BOX will be great for any sort of music, but you likely don't have enough space to run even 2 properly and with that much power you're far better off with more woofers to share the heat of that much power.

Are you quite certain you NEED 7KW? Are you aware that whatever money you're looking to spend on the amp you'll need to pay that again for electrical upgrades to support that amp? Once you have that power, adequate battery bank, subs, and a well built enclosure you'll most likely need to sink some money into suspension upgrades as well.

The difference between 3KW on a single 18" vs 7500W on a single would be possibly 2dB (one or two clicks of your volume knob). Just be aware beyond 3K or so on a pair of 12's or a single 18 you're really gaining very little output real-world for some pretty substantial input..... there's a distinct point of diminishing returns.

Well I was honestly planing on 2 dc lvl 5 12's there rms is either 3500 or 4k I don't remember . And I thought the 7.5k would be good. I can always turn the gains down right?

Well I was honestly planing on 2 dc lvl 5 12's there rms is either 3500 or 4k I don't remember . And I thought the 7.5k would be good. I can always turn the gains down right?
No need to turn the gains down if you get the lvl 5s hispl is right tho a singl 18 prolly wouldn't be your best option here. I have a pair if tantric hdd 15s in my truck on 2 gzpa 4000 amps and it gets nasty loud. But I also have 8 group 31 batts and a 320 amp alt ,so you'll need room for a few batts. a shlt ton if 0 gauge wire Also you'll need to leave room to mount the amp. Don't put it on The box For the type of music you listen to the 12s or 15s would be good also a pro audio front stage to keep up

If music will be better on the 18 lvl 6, I'll talk to my box designer about fitting 2. I have a 320 alt also no batteries yet. But planing on it. I asked him to help design this so I could have an room for an army duffle bag or small ice chest. And stay bellow the window line. I have Thule roof rack ordered to put the spare tire on. And making a custom metal box to hold batters in spare tire. I was going to make a false bottom for the amp rack. But if I go 18 I could mount the amps on the 3rd windows

I'm not looking to compete in spl. I was hurt in Iraq and one of my problems is I'm deaf from IED explosion. But if the music is loud enough I can hear......yeah!!!. I've had lots of cheap best buy crap and I want the best now

Call me stupid, my thinking which is more than likely wrong

Lvl 6 18". 2x lvl5 12"

80lbs magnet. 2x 160 lb magnets

5.5 airspace. 3cu feet

4" vc. 7" of voice coil

Wouldn't the two be louder than the 18

It seem that a worker from tantric is on another car audio board I found. He said that it's daily rating is 5k
Yes but underated. I'm a tantric rep as well as dc if your looking for loud music then tantric. If you just want loud and space is an issue , then dc

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.