Pioneer DEH-P8MP - I want to change color LED output to AMBER from Blue, Please Help.

Hello everyone! I am new to CarAudio.com, but a long time enthusiast. So first of all, thanks to anyone that's willing to read on.

I am currently working on my Acura Integra Type R. Many desire it, and many don't know what to do with finding a radio that matches the amber dash and HVAC controls. Some of the lights in the dash have an actual rubber boot over a white light that gives off that desired amber color.

I decided to purchase a new headunit for my ITR. I went with the Pioneer DEH- P8MP. This deck has many Bright Blue LEDs. I also understand that different colored LEDs do require a different voltage. I am equiped with a Mouser Catalog and also a DigiKey Catalog. I got the board exposed, and this is what I see...

click thumb for full size . . .

Those LEDs are MICRO to me. Am I exaggerating? Those darn things look impossible to replace. Do you think there could be some alternative to get my desired AMBER output to match my dash?

Can anyone out there help me out? Thanks in Advance!

p.s. If anyone browses Honda-tech.com, I posted this there last week... http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1928218

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Good luck..

And I say that with my deepest sympathy //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/blush.gif.99bc659ee2012b7d826165e26fb5eebe.gif

Thanks for the replies ... but switching to Blue interior, there's no way that would happen. I have to stay with the AMBER.

Back in the day... I think it was a Wednesday... I was all over Alpine. But I have moved on. Does anyone think I could find some sort of micro boot to fit over those tiny LEDs? So that way I won't need as much luck with soldering.

THANKS

Not true. You could do it. But uh... not with a boot. What you need is a little sheet that basically refracts the light. You will have to find one opposite of the initial color on the color wheel (orange?) and go from there. You may not be able to get an exact match, but you can try. Ive even seen some people being creative and just using colored seran wrap. You have to use a few sheets of whatever it is you use though, (depending on light brightness, you need a few sheets for good results. The initial sheets, due to being color opposites, produce a white (duller than initial light though) light and then the additional sheets alter that white color to produce the amber, final color. It MAY be possible if your very VERY skillful to use this method, though I wont recommend it to amateurs. Basically the only way that works well is if you cut out the sheets and glue them basically directly over the lights. Otherwise, your board's buttons may not be pressed accuretly, etc... which makes this not a project for people new to this kind of stuff.

But honestly, is it worth it? No. Either learn to live with it, change the rest of your dash color, or get a new HU. You can NOT change those bulbs...

You just said you cant do it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

I was reffering to changing the lights

Not true. You could do it. But uh... not with a boot. What you need is a little sheet that basically refracts the light. You will have to find one opposite of the initial color on the color wheel (orange?) and go from there. You may not be able to get an exact match, but you can try. Ive even seen some people being creative and just using colored seran wrap. You have to use a few sheets of whatever it is you use though, (depending on light brightness, you need a few sheets for good results. The initial sheets, due to being color opposites, produce a white (duller than initial light though) light and then the additional sheets alter that white color to produce the amber, final color. It MAY be possible if your very VERY skillful to use this method, though I wont recommend it to amateurs. Basically the only way that works well is if you cut out the sheets and glue them basically directly over the lights. Otherwise, your board's buttons may not be pressed accuretly, etc... which makes this not a project for people new to this kind of stuff.
But honestly, is it worth it? No. Either learn to live with it, change the rest of your dash color, or get a new HU. You can NOT change those bulbs...
Thanks for the kind words. I do understand what you are actually talking about. I had already thought the process of getting white light and then converting the white light to the Amber color. I just wasn't quite sure... because I was thinking I would need to start with Red and Yellow since Blue is a Primary and mixing all primary colors should give you a white light. But some reason I wasn't thinking I could just use the secondary color of Orange. THANKS!!! I was afraid that 2 many layers would actually kill the brightness, and I would be left with a less desirable result because of it becoming dim from the thickness of the film.

So I have been thinking I can actually use this method of color film. And only 2 layers really makes this sound easier than last week when I was thinking of this. I am an Amateur, but think I can probably pull this off, IF I take my time and am patient. That is a major player when it comes to almost any project.

THanks again for all the suggestions!

haha I feel your pain, I have been looking for a head unit with great sound quality and amber lighting. I am considering the p860mp and it is almost perfect for what I want except for the blue buttons. I wonder if painting the LEDs like the one guy mentioned in your other thread is a good idea?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Ryan_C

Ryan_C
Fort Wayne, IN, USA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
SlickCMRick